Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

upgrading from an EQ5 with future upgrades in mind

oldpink

my initial purchase was restricted by a budget of £1000 to get a basic imaging system for Planetary with a mind on upgrading for more serious DSO work
since Feb when I got my SW and EQ5 I have been reasonably happy with my Planetary imaging considering my setup
and spent a few quid on accessory's to allow me more control of the system  including all the EQMOD addons and associated  cables and controllers
awaiting the delivery of the SW auto focuser & USB control box to fully automate the system

biggest issue is my Mount, the EQ5 does manage but only just to do what I want so as I knew from the beginning I've known my mount is my weak point
so in the next month or two I'm saving up to upgrade

from what I see for a budget of around £1000 I have little choice if I want to keep using my current setup of EQMOd etc I'm limited to the SW range of mounts
with that in mind the NEQ6 seems the obvious choice for my primary goal of AP

is there any other mounts in the £1000 range that can use all the EQMOD controllers that is better in the same price bracket I should look at

Not really - the gap between £1k mounts and £5k mounts has been vacant a long time and has just been filled with the EQ8 at circa £3.5k. You could look at the Celestron CGEM's which are quite beefy and come in around £1100+ depending on model.

But I can't think of anything else that you can EQMOD. I doubt anyone else will have a better idea within your budget. Though I prefer the Celestron software - the NEQ6 Pro will have the capacity, compatibility, and future proofing you require in your price range - it's a fabulous mount for the price (with the usual tweaks). :)

(If you have any doubts - get a second hand one around £650 - it'll hold value if you need to sell it on).

Good advice above :) There are lots of little mods you can do to the NEQ6 also like power socket mod (that ones essential in my opinion) then if course adding belt drives, then the new "EQ6 wedge" altitude adjuster-I live the look of that mod but it is not an essential mod. Upgrading the factory default alt/az bolts to more sturdy ones is a good idea IMO. If you want to kill many birds with one stone and not have to do the power socket mod, the belt drives or the altitude adjustment "EQ6 Wedge" mod then sell your eq5 and go for a second hand AZ-EQ6 (circa £950 second hand) and it comes with all of the above as standard. That's what I would do if it were me and that was my budget. The AZ-EQ6 will suit your future needs easily and has all the kinks of the NEQ6 worked out of it already-win win :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes the AZ-EQ6 is very nice but even second hand its the same price as a new NEQ6

and as most of my viewing is from a set location where the mount is almost permanent the NEQ 6 should be more than enough 
as the location can't run much above a few minute exposures at any one time due to heavy LP

once I get the NEQ 6 I will be upgrading the bolts when I get it as I know this is a major issue Esp at 55 deg north

can you tell me about the "Power socket mod" this is a new one to me

Archived