NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Televue Mars Type A vs Mars Type B filter

Allen,

Still not got mine, it shouild be in place for the 2016 approach. I have not missed much without it as the wet and grey fluffy stuff has taken up residence here since about April 12th, court order required I think!

Alan.

I have the planetary and type B. Planetary is great on Jupiter and tried it on Saturn last night - it brought Saturn alive. Expect it to be even better as I viewed this planet off the horizon. This undoubtedly is a great filter. I tried the type B on mars last night as well. It certainly brings out the expected color and I can see some shading and differentiation. This was done with my np 101 and hope to try it with my meade ASAP - it has been quite windy in los angeles. The bad news. I contacted OPT about type A. Not only did they say it is discontinued but they expect the other two to be discontinued as well - reason does not sell much. Happy I have two of the three. clear skies

Glad to hear the Planetary has impressed you on Saturn as well. I haven't tried it on that yet, but am keen to do so soon.

Interesting that they are looking to discontinue them due to non popularity. I'll probably purchase another Planetary... For possible use in bino viewing and as a backup should something happen to the one I have. Yep, I really do like the filter that much!

If you're looking for the Type A, I bought mine from Anacortes, over there in the states. They may still have some in stock.

Allen,

Does not sell much, maybe someone in the know should let TV know there is a growing demand for these filters which seems to be snow-balling. As far as I can see Telescope House which is most likely the UK's largest outlet for Televue has not had the planetary filter in the last few years, I check this site often and I have never seen it though they carry the Mars types. This leads me to believe that little or no advertising took place.

I believe as a result of your posts and others, people will want this, I am trying to get one of the planetary type and so far can't, Mars I am not so bothered about as it is only worth serious observation ever 2 years or so.

Alan.

Archived