Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Illuminating a standard finderscope?

Anyone know of any gizmo's or pre-built 50mm led illuminated ring type thingies that could do this? During my attempts at photographing the ISS, I really struggle to see the crosshairs if the sky is really dark. I need a quick and simple fix rather than forking out on a new illuminated finderscope. :?

Matt

Thanks Phil.. funnily enough I've already emailed the guy (more so for my EQ3 polar scope cus I cant see the polar circle in the dark), might not work with the finder scope though.

Great link Karlo thanks. I might just have to go DIY as it says. Was looking on maplins, struggling to decide which lights or led's would be best for the job?

Matt

Matt,

Beamish, beat me to post the iceinspace link :D

As for the 'bulbs', someone will correct me if wrong, but they might be too bright.

I'd suggest using LED's, maybe with a resistor or two. Did some DIY on a illuminating the polar scope on my HEQ5, with moderatel good results, not wanting to sound like I know what I'm talking about :lol:. As I only know the basics!! :D

I'll find the info on the LED's etc and post up shortly.

Here goes: Red LED 5mm, code: WL84

Min Resistor 10K, code: M10K (get a few, dim to suit)

James

And there was me thinking it was just my eyes!

You've now prompted me in to doing something about it.

I was thinking that it could all be done internally - dim LED, resistor, battery and reed switch.

The plan is to switch on the LED by placing a magnet on the outside of the finder to operate the reed.

Because the finder is plastic the magnetic field will pass through but how to keep the magnet in place will be down to experimentation.

I'll post back here if I can get it to work.

Steve

Vega PM me with your contact details and you can have mine as I haven't had much use for it. I would suggest making up a stiffish ring from 2x lengths of card or heavy paper or anything that you feel is appropriate and sandwich the LED "legs" into that so you can then just slip it over the end of the finder.

Karlo

Archived