Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

unbranded bins, yes literally no brand?

Chris

Hi, I'm thinking of taking the plunge on a second hand pair of what looks like a certain TS bino, they look identical in everyway but without the logo. infact they don't have any logo! is this normal practice? I know that certain bino's come out of the factory and are branded differently e.g. relevelation/celestron, but I've not come across no branding what so ever before. They do look identical in everyway including details on the hard case for them but I just want to be sure. Sorry that I can't be specific in fear that someone will read this then find it and buy it :D 

p.s. I messaged the guy and he confirmed they are unbranded.

Cheers

Chris

Hi, thanks, the chap confirms that the collimation is good. I'll risk it and show some pics. They look like TS Marines but are non branded, just wanted to check to see if these could be a dodgy replica or if they do get sold unbranded sometimes?

EDIT: darnit the pics are tiny :(

post-16129-0-21800900-1398582868.jpg

post-16129-0-70300700-1398582873.jpg

Recently on astroboot a pair of these were on sale as out of collimation. These may be the same binoculars which have been repaired by the buyer but crucially may not be aligned by the manufacturer. Minor collimation issues are difficult to see without proper tools but will cause eyes train and headaches. Then again if these are as the seller suggests well collimated then they might be a great deal. If they are a good price make sure you can return them if collimation isn't perfect.

Hi, many thanks, I  saw some helios Q4's for sale on Astroboot that where out of collimation a couple of weeks back, were the ones on astroboot definately the above and ubranded do you know? The guy said that they have been in the case collecting dust for over a year so if he's telling the truth they wont be the same ones. They are 140 quid so if they are right they are a cracking deal, the only downer is that they are 10.5 x70 so the exit pupil is on the large side but then again I measured my pupils to be over 6mm in normal daytime room lighting so probably ok for me. 

You could be right about them being a demo pair, it would explain why no one has put there name to them.

Thanks

Chris

The chap has now confirmed they are indeed a prototype of Ostara Optical hardware. I'm getting him to test the collimation by viewing a roof line and a mast whilst closing an eye at a time to see if the image moves up and down or left or right. If it passes this test I will go for it :)

Good spot about them being a prototype Astro_noob :)

Chris

All the collimation tests I set him have shown no problem so I've took the plunge and bought them :) I would have prefered 15x70 not 10.5x70 but at half the new price I'm not complaining, at least 10.5x should be easier to hand hold.

Archived