Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eco build obs?

JB80

Hey all,

Now that we are searching for a new house to buy having room for an obs is definitely something that comes into my planning at least when looking at a property.

At this point I am just throwing some ideas around but one thing that repeatedly comes back to me is building an eco style observatory, one method in particular stands out to me as being possibly the easiest build and that is an earthbag/Super Adobe style obs. http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/ ,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AdobeI It was even used as some early ideas to colonise the Moon cheaply.

However other methods such as Cob and Cordwood(which can be very pretty, I think Terry Pratchetts obs is a cordwood build) I wouldn't rule out either. In truth I wouldn't rule out a more traditional timber frame or skypod style but there is something about getting hands on and dirty that appeals to me.

I'm reasonably certain in going for a method like this will keep the costs down considerably but I would still have to budget in for things like the architect, roof, base/pier and electrics. I would also look into having it powered on solar power and even wind as there is no shortage of that here, if possible.

The roof is one thing that I'll likely have to bring in separately so whether it would be a slide off or dome would come down to the finished design.

So I wonder if anyone has any experience in building with any of the above materials that may be able to pass on some advice. Either for an obs or other project.

I guess my main consideration will be that whatever way I choose I will be going in blind, I'm not a builder or electrician and if truth be known I don't know a great deal about observatories either. It would seem like a straightforward enough process but I will have plenty of questions.

What are the major must have with no compromise considerations  for an obs build?

Do people think there are any major concerns with an Earthbag building?

What about heat, it gets pretty hot here in summer is it even worth having an obs in 36°c heat?

What is the glaring obvious that I'm missing?

Like I said I'm only sharing my thoughts at this point and without having any solid plans it's subject to change but do people think it would be feasible?

The earthbag method could give you walls but surely not a roof? It would be too heavy, I'd have thought. Since the roof needs to open it needs to be light so it will tend to allow a lot of heat in. This can be reduced with an insulated lining using light modern sheets.

In somewhare very hot (I'm in the south of France) a fully opeing roll off has advantages. It cools down quite fast.

Moving roofs need precision to some extent and earthbag construction seems to be 'soft' in style, ie low in precision. This is not a criticism, it has lots of charm, but would it blend with an opening roof mechanism?

Olly

The earthbag method could give you walls but surely not a roof? It would be too heavy, I'd have thought. Since the roof needs to open it needs to be light so it will tend to allow a lot of heat in. This can be reduced with an insulated lining using light modern sheets.

This is true, my intention wouldn't be to use an earthbag roof for the main obs part and instead follow a more standardised slide off roof design or even add a purpose built dome. It seems to be quite alright for a dome roof but it's not exactly the right type for an observatory dome, maybe the warm room though. I'm not tied to the idea for eco reasons so it would likely be a mixture of ideas.

In somewhare very hot (I'm in the south of France) a fully opeing roll off has advantages. It cools down quite fast.

Moving roofs need precision to some extent and earthbag construction seems to be 'soft' in style, ie low in precision. This is not a criticism, it has lots of charm, but would it blend with an opening roof mechanism?

I do think that would be the type of roof I would add, at least it would be the easiest option considering the building method and the fact often it rarely drops below 20° at night so cool down is important. I would think that by adding some large timber corner posts and any additional ones that may be needed you can easily make a decent enough roof support.

So yes essentially it would just be the walls and warm room made from the earthbags. At least in my head I have a rough sketch of what I'm thinking about.

I reckon you could build quite a good dome with hoops of blue water pipe and painted canvas - cheap and low tech, but would need a ply ring around the base and ribs.     The painted canvas used to be used for boat decking in the days before fibreglass sheathing - good for about 20 years I reckon with reasonable care and occasional painting.

That sounds like it would be possible, my only concern would be wind as it gets really bad here and security but it's an interesting idea for sure. I'll probably only need it for 5 years or so as we may move around then.

It would be light Jarrod, but not massively lighter than a fiberglass dome perhaps.   I think you could also fill the tubes with sand to increase rigidity and overall mass, though I think with any dome you will need some positive retention mechanism built in to prevent the roof lifting off in extremes - over and under rollers on the base rotation ring and some form of bolt/latch down for added security?

I can definitely see the possibility of it and how it would work and seeing as whatever build we do will likely require an architects approval before the town hall will approve it so I fully intend to make use of him/her with the more technical aspects. Approval may be the hardest part.

I think the security thing can be overcome as best as possible, at least for peace of mind. If someone wants in not much will stop them whatever the materials used.

I will file this idea as I like it, my other idea for a dome was unless I could find one somewhere to have a timber one built but that may just be breaking the budget although I have no idea how much that would cost. Your idea is a much easier one that I could do easy enough on my own, I think. :Envy:

Archived