Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Out of the dark (side) and into the light!

m37

Hi, are you able to sit and look at stuff directly overhead i.e. scope pretty much vertical e.g. for me that would be say looking for M82 in U Major. And on point for the OP question around Dobs, is it just me or is it more difficult to position and move a Dob when its almost vertical?

If your still holding the CK, it is, as there's no fulcrum/leverage. I just grab the Dobsonian and spin it  when vertical, otherwise its hands on the CK and TH ( Chin Knob & Tension Handle)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John, I've not looked at anything at zenith with the Dob or ED120, its a position I find a little uncomfortable so I always view the object before it gets to Zenith or when it has passed it.

If I want to view anything at zenith I use binoculars while lying in a garden recliner.

Avtar

That's some good thinking on the chair, cheers chaps. I'm 6'4" so I would probably mess about with stools, bits of wood etc until I found the perfect range of heights before choosing a chair. I have a friend who works in a music shop in fact, so might ask him if I can try out some guitarist stools or similar.

So far I have provisionally arrived at

250px Flextube NON GOTO!!!

FLO's Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

Skywatcher ED 2x Barlow

A lightshroud to help with dew and to protect things a bit

ironing/musician's chair/stool

kendrick split heater for secondary

small battery pack

eyepieces to be determined later (probably a 6mm

Already got

precision self centering 2" to 1.25" converter thing for collimation

4 channel dew heater controller

eyepiece dew heater strip

dew heater strip for finder

camping mat for dew shield at the top end

Still not sure about

• computer fan behind the primary to cool down the mirror faster and then circulate air to help against dew?
  • OR heater on back of primary?
  • Are those Tracer battery packs any good for my fairly meagre power requirements? They look nice and portable.
  • simple 3 hole focus mask made from cardboard/masking tape good enough to get me started?
  • I had initially assumed that an illuminated reticule eyepiece would be used for lining up polaris at the start of a session. Is this more precision than is necessary for visual?
  • Would a relatively cheap 2-speed micro focuser upgrade be worth it? £59 seems reasonable if it would make a noticeable difference?

I am nothing if not thorough!

Cheers

Chris

Archived