NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help

Scooot

I hate computers!

Tried to download registax 6.1 today and I think I've picked a virus site. It was meant to install 6 steps but after it said installing 5 of 6 it carried on. So 15 steps 16 steps etc. eventually I twigged and stopped it with control alt delete.

Anyway as a result I can't open internet explorer. I've tried resetting all the default settings, I've removed it and reinstalled it, I've scanned for virus's and malware and I'm cheesed off. There should be a minimum prison sentence of 10 years for prats who do this! I can get on internet with google chrome. I realise this forum isn't perhaps the right one for guidance but I thought I'd try.glad I mainly use an iPad.

i never ever use that thats how you can get hacked download firefox or chrome much safer

Cheers -:) Chrome works, never tried Firefox, but until I fix internet explorer I'll think my PCs I some way infected. I think a dll has been removed or changed in the registry.

download malwarebytes its free and run that, that will find quite alot  i use firefox, avast antivirus and comodo firewall and ive been safe for years now they are all free

Yep I've run malwarebytes .

This is why i never use internet explorer if your hacked its part of operating system so you have either use repair disc or reinstall, where as if firefox gets infected just delete it completely then reinstall that it is like a blank piece of paper start again then they can punch holes in it once gets too bad just delete and reinstal.

This is why i never use internet explorer if your hacked its part of operating system so you have either use repair disc or reinstall, where as if firefox gets infected just delete it completely then reinstall that it is like a blank piece of paper start again then they can punch holes in it once gets too bad just delete and reinstal.

Live and. Learn I suppose. I've gone through the Microsoft remove and reinstall process and now I get a quick flash as I double click the icon. I'd be happy to use an alternative Brouser but not if my PC was infected in some way. Manny thanks for your input by the way.

When i say firefox gets infected that was not right its they try to attack your browser your anti virus and firewall stop them but they leave say a little hole in piece of paper cannot get through it (just analogy) you notice that the browser seems a bit slow so you just delete and re install fresh piece of paper (analogy) where as internet explorer if they try hack that you cant just take it out and re fresh it because its part of the operating system.

Well, not always the case, regardless of browser, if you click and run an executable that you don't 100% trust or have properly inspected you will infect the OS. I think the above post is thinking more along the lines of malicious browser plugins.

Anyway, this subject has huge amounts of variables, all I will say is I.E. is not generally the problem these days, it's people who click any old "guff" they find on their travels, it's akin to wandering a city you don't know and eating from a bin. :)

Well, not always the case, regardless of browser, if you click and run an executable that you don't 100% trust or have properly inspected you will infect the OS. I think the above post is thinking more along the lines of malicious browser plugins.Anyway, this subject has huge amounts of variables, all I will say is I.E. is not generally the problem these days, it's people who click any old "guff" they find on their travels, it's akin to wandering a city you don't know and eating from a bin. :)

Thank you for your comment I very much appreciate it. I don't quite understand the nature of the problem, I don't think its a virus as Norton has discounted that.

windows Repair disc i believe you can download it free so i have been told either that or its fresh in stall, or computer shop find out which dll files are missing.

Try this page using chrome you have to re register a dll.proxy half way down page

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/568737-internet-explorer-wont-start.html?ModPagespeed=noscript

windows Repair disc i believe you can download it free so i have been told either that or its fresh in stall, or computer shop find out which dll files are missing.

Cheers I'll try it.

Ps I may have clicked any old guff and now need assistance,

I quite understand and forgive me for perhaps sounding a bit (or a lot) judgemental. I don't mean to be, I just forget sometimes that what is obvious to me, from 20 years+ in IT, is not to those outside my industry.

The real issue is that there are so many different threats out there that AV and anti malware can never cover it all and every single one of them knows nothing of new threats until they are reported, it is purely a catch up industry.

If I could get onto your machine I would gladly help, but, that is a "no no" as you should never accept help from the internet from an untrusted source.

The best way I can help you for the future is to suggest you read up on "defence in depth", always look at anything with a link as if it was trying to gain entry to your home. Never click anything you don't trust 100%, use a simple user account for browsing and/or a virtual machine (windows 7 has a free xp virtual machine if you look for it online, use verified MS download sites only). Even then, practise "defence in depth". The people you mention who love to inconvenience you are just looking for you to be less than vigilant when approaching their code.

Also, keep your machine as up to date as possible, this will help to stop older threats and only leave you vulnerable to undocumented threats, with (yes, banging on again about it) defence in depth you will avoid newer ones also.

As we move forwards, more and more we are going to be opened up to all manner of threats as our lives become ever more entwined with the internet, practise your defences now to avoid real issues and lost time/money in the future. You can never be 100% safe, but you can always lower the chances drastically in your favour by following a robust security process.

I quite understand and forgive me for perhaps sounding a bit (or a lot) judgemental. I don't mean to be, I just forget sometimes that what is obvious to me, from 20 years+ in IT, is not to those outside my industry.The real issue is that there are so many different threats out there that AV and anti malware can never cover it all and every single one of them knows nothing of new threats until they are reported, it is purely a catch up industry.If I could get onto your machine I would gladly help, but, that is a "no no" as you should never accept help from the internet from an untrusted source.The best way I can help you for the future is to suggest you read up on "defence in depth", always look at anything with a link as if it was trying to gain entry to your home. Never click anything you don't trust 100%, use a simple user account for browsing and/or a virtual machine (windows 7 has a free xp virtual machine if you look for it online, use verified MS download sites only). Even then, practise "defence in depth". The people you mention who love to inconvenience you are just looking for you to be less than vigilant when approaching their code.Also, keep your machine as up to date as possible, this will help to stop older threats and only leave you vulnerable to undocumented threats, with (yes, banging on again about it) defence in depth you will avoid newer ones also.As we move forwards, more and more we are going to be opened up to all manner of threats as our lives become ever more entwined with the internet, practise your defences now to avoid real issues and lost time/money in the future. You can never be 100% safe, but you can always lower the chances drastically in your favour by following a robust security process.

Thanks for this, I didn't intend for my comment to come across the way it did, I'm annoyed with myself (and the culprits) not you. It's even more annoying because I hardly ever use the PC these days, I much prefer the iPad as its quicker and more user friendly, but for playing around with images I find it easier to use a mouse. Oh well I'm sure I'll get it fixed sometime it's just a real pain.

I've finally fixed it, not quite sure exactly how, probably a combination of things.

I tried a system restore but when the PC rebooted I got a message saying it didn't complete successfully. I tried various things in your link wookie. I then went to the microsoft website and reinstalled ie8. This made a slight difference, I got a blank screen flash up before it ignored the request. Then tried in safe mode, in which I could open the program but couldn't connect to the web. Ran malwarebytes again and this time it found over 600 threats, most seemed to be related to a program called Vuze that my son used to use. So removed all of these and the program. I also found a new program I hadn't intentionally installed so I removed that as well, together with a load of other old program's of my sons.

Rebooted again in normal mode and it seems to be back to normal. Thanks wookie and everyone for you help.

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

this is the download site from the program itself. personally, I found its download instructions near impossible to understand. I did not have this program when I started . I did some sort of workaround which i have since forgotten...most likely doewnloaded version six from somewhere and then updated . that all went well.

I cannot see 'registax and virus' clearly mentioned by norton or AVG...

it sounds to me that your IE just got  'upset' about stopping midstream...you should be able to repair it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

this is the site to repiar it and involves a 'wizard' download...

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

this is the download site from the program itself. personally, I found its download instructions near impossible to understand. I did not have this program when I started . I did some sort of workaround which i have since forgotten...most likely doewnloaded version six from somewhere and then updated . that all went well.

I cannot see 'registax and virus' clearly mentioned by norton or AVG...

it sounds to me that your IE just got  'upset' about stopping midstream...you should be able to repair it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

this is the site to repiar it and involves a 'wizard' download...

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't bothered trying to download it since after all the agro. I was going to try and stack a few moon images but it's not that important.

I did try the repair wizard for XP, and reinstalling it and eventually managed to fix it but it was a real nuisance.

Archived