NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reduce Diffration Effects

Hey all,

Beena while since I was last on here as weather has notr been that great in the glorious Plymouth area and have had not had chance to do other commitments.

However, last night I made the most of what was a relatively clear and calm night and set-up in the garden ready for some lunar imaging and also to see if I could get anything else.

Managed to get a good look at Jupiter and her moons and also managed to grab a few pics of her too.  These were taken while the sky was slight fairtly light, so had blue background, but what i did notice was the 4 very distinct spikes coming out from her.  At first I was wondering if this was soething wrong with my set-up, but after some looking on internet today, have found out that this is in fact the diffraction caused by the secondary spider.

Whilst I am not hugely worried about it as it is something that will always be present with the set-up I have (you canny change the laws of physics) was wondering if there is a way of resucing the effect down to a minimum.

Managed to get a few images of the moon and also grabbed some 1080p 24 video too.  Also, in my looking at the diffraction effect today, saw someone mention that the scope I have is not exactly the best for imaging the moon due to it's high speed.  Not sure how true that is but I am having some focusing issues.

Whilst I am using the Live View on my camera (Nikon D7100) I feel I may be better served by having this run off a laptop so that I can control it all from there.  Any thoughs on the bast way to achieve this? 

I amy put the images up later on tonight after I have converted them from RAW and accepted the fact I would open myself up to ridicule :-)

Afraid it is normal on a reflector, 4 vanes = 4 spikes, 3 vanes = 3 spikes.

There are curved vanes available and these do not so much reduce the effect they simply spread it over a wider ares so they are less promonent.

An aperture mask positioned in one of the quadrants formed by the vanes thus avoiding the vanes.

You may find this thread interesting reading as well http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/213403-curved-v-straight-secondary-support/?view=getnewpost

Cheers for the info...kind of makes sense now I have looked at images of what you have mentioned as to whey there are a few capped holes in the dust cover for the scope...pre-made masks.

Will give them a go and see what effect they have

Archived