Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celeston 8se or Orion xt 12i - help

Right I have a celestron 8se but am missing the large appature of a dob.

Have seen an Orion xt 12I but wondered if it would be as good optically as the 8se and if the goto is as good.

Any experience of the Orion? Or comments on if to stick or swap .

The Orion has the same optics as the Skywatcher Flextube 12", made by the same company, Synta.

You can't really compare an 8" SCT with a 12" dob though, very different "animals" with different strengths and weaknesses. 

If you want aperture the extra 4" of the dob will show when you view deep sky objects. Perhaps not so much when viewing lunar and planetary targets.

I think the GOTO on the XT12i is a "Push To" in that you provide the motive power and the computer tells you which direction to push in.

The C8 XLT is a fine scope which outperforms every dob I have looked through - sharper optics and better views IMO, but cannot comment on the collimation of the dobs but my SCT is well collimated, the dobs always seem a little fuzzy in their view.  A powerful package in a small unit gets my vote - BUT an 8" vs a 12" would possibly be different - have the best of both and get a C11

Archived