Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

April 10, 2014: Some nice proms in the afternoon

I just grabbed a gap in the clouds and managed to look at the sun through my LS35. A prom northwards on the western limb showed up as a nice semicircle with detail inside. A slightly smaller prom showed up un the southern side. A fairly flat complex of proms showed up southwards on the eastern limb, and a nice elongated prom stood out like a long flame from a a bright region on the north-eastern surface near the limb. You could see the prom as a dark structure emanating from the bright area on the surface, and turning into a bright structure as it crossed the limb at stood out against the blackness of space. Nearby some sunspots were visible on the surface.

Very nice indeed by the sounds of it, no joy for me again today :shocked:  Mind you we are supposed to be having a blinder of a weekend in Northampton for both day and night time observing   :laugh:

Very nice indeed by the sounds of it, no joy for me again today :shocked:  Mind you we are supposed to be having a blinder of a weekend in Northampton for both day and night time observing   :laugh:

Hopefully Sunday will allow some Solar viewing........... :grin:

Not a gap in the cloud today at all. The next week doesn't look promising. Tomorrow may be the best chance of an observation but the cloud gods will wait until I go out before they act and as I dash back home, they will bring the cloud back the moment I put eye to eyepiece. Tis ever thus.

Archived