Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting the most out of my 130p newtonian – Revelation 2.5 barlow?

Hello,

Although I'd love to upgrade from the 130p (to perhaps a 200p newtonian), finances don't permit that just yet, so I'm making do with what I've got. I have already replaced the standard SW EPs with Revelation items (9mm, 20mm and 32mm Plossls), and have a Celestron moon filter and an Antares No 82A.

I'm thinking about getting a Revelation 2.5x barlow to replace the 2x item that came with the scope (widely regarded as rubbish), and I just wondered whether it's worth doing. Will it be that much of an improvement over the standard SW item? Mars and Jupiter last night through the SW barlow lacked detail and were very fuzzy (although bright and sharp – but small – with just the EPs). 

Can anyone suggest other items that will improve the 130p? I feel I've got decent enough EPs, and I'm planning to strip and grease the focuser in the coming days (along the lines of Astro Baby's tutorial). 

Any thoughts/ideas most welcome.

Cheers,

Kev.

kev100........Hi, another 70mm of aperture would be the better upgrade. The supplied Barlow maybe basic, or even has a plastic lens, but you wont necessarily improve the end result, by fitting a newer Barlow. I had a Revelation  2.5x Barlow, but quite often, too much magnification is not the right direction to go. I  sold the Revelation 2.5x  and bought  a 2x Barlow ( Skywatcher deluxe ) and even on that, I can unscrew the Barlow lens and apply it directly to the EP for a 1.5x Barlow. That seems to be the best option for my 5mm and 8mm EP's.

The eyepieces are only as good as the ability of the telescope you use. You may have found your limits with your present telescope? Your EP's  will work in a 200 Newtonian, as you mentioned.

Summer is almost here, shorter nights ahead, less viewing time, use your present set-up a little longer, all the time saving for this Winters new telescope? 

Hi Charic,

Whilst I do feel I'm reaching the end with my scope, I can't justify upgrading just yet. I was hoping the better optics in the 2.5x Revelation (and they do have good reviews) might give a little more planetary detail at higher mag than the standard barlow, and so be a worthy upgrade. Because of the (albeit relatively minor) hassle of getting the scope out and set up, I've found that because the scope doesn't resolve much in the way of detail at hi mag, I usually just use my 20x80 bins for wide field viewing. 

What with Mars, Jupiter and (soon) Saturn being/coming up in the early night sky I'd like to be able to zoom in a bit more, but without losing sharpness. I don't think the scope can take smaller EPs than the 9mm I've already got, so I figured the only thing to do was go for a reasonably decent barlow – but the subject of barlows does seem to divide opinion.

Kev

Hi Charic,

Whilst I do feel I'm reaching the end with my scope, I can't justify upgrading just yet. I was hoping the better optics in the 2.5x Revelation (and they do have good reviews) might give a little more planetary detail at higher mag than the standard barlow, and so be a worthy upgrade. Because of the (albeit relatively minor) hassle of getting the scope out and set up, I've found that because the scope doesn't resolve much in the way of detail at hi mag, I usually just use my 20x80 bins for wide field viewing. 

What with Mars, Jupiter and (soon) Saturn being/coming up in the early night sky I'd like to be able to zoom in a bit more, but without losing sharpness. I don't think the scope can take smaller EPs than the 9mm I've already got, so I figured the only thing to do was go for a reasonably decent barlow – but the subject of barlows does seem to divide opinion.

Kev

The scope  still wont resolve any more  by the addition of the Revelation Barlow, especially as you think its bad now. Its the telescope that does all the work for you. The EP's just allow you to magnify the already formed image at the focal point. Any further magnification by the addition of a newer Barlow wont help your  present situation.  The revelation is a good Barlow. But buying one now IMHO wont be worth it, in the assumption that you will have a marked difference to what you already see. 

More resolution will be had by having a larger aperture, not more magnification with this telescope! That is your dilema.

Thanks Charic,

That's been very helpful. I had been thinking that the (presumably) better optics would count for something, but I do understand that the scope itself is the limiting factor. As I mentioned, I'd kist like to get the best out of it until I can upgrade.

Cheers,

Kev

....You can still upgrade the Barlow. Its your eyes at the end of the Day. Its possible you still may see something of an improvement.  I've bought stuff to improve things, but the improvement was not evident to me? Whatever your choice, your upgrades can carry over to the next telescope, should it need them? You can try to ensure that your telescope is properly collimated to get the optics set, and ensure you view on the best of nights. Thats the immediate solutions.

I  still have a Celestron 127EQ in the shed, I know what its like to want better from whats available. At present, my only real  desire or wish would be for a larger image scale, that's a limit for me on my Skyliner. That also means  a bigger telescope! That wont happen for a very long time?

Archived