Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeking Advice.

I promised my 10 yr old niece that when i move that i would buy her her own laptop for her own use/ bedroom. She only stays with me every second weekend, but a promise is a promise. 

In school, she uses one of these new style things were the screen comes away from the keyboard and it can be used as a full blown laptop or a touch screen tablet.

What are they called?. 

Any brands i should look out for/avoid?

The one she thinks her school uses is Acer.

While i want the best for her, she is not bothered about screen size or storage. 

Thanks in advance.

Paul

kids these days LOL

there are several units with detachable screens, really depends how much of a budget you have
oh find out if they use Windows 8 or 7 as that will also figure into the equation
but something like the Asus Transformer Book T100TA-DK002H 10.1" comes in about £350 with Win 8

kids these days LOL

there are several units with detachable screens, really depends how much of a budget you have

oh find out if they use Windows 8 or 7 as that will also figure into the equation

but something like the Asus Transformer Book T100TA-DK002H 10.1" comes in about £350 with Win 8

To be honest, i know what she wants...............but what she wants and what she gets are two different things. She would be as happy with a normal laptop as she would with one of those that can be laptop/tablet.

I like the look of this:

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/asus-vivobook-x200-116-touchscreen-laptop/316269/104.9

She really does not need a high spec machine. All she does is what a normal 10 yr old does.

What is a "normal" 10 yr old?

LOL.

My laptop runs on Win 8 and i'm sure the one she uses in school also does because she knows her way around my laptop like there is no tomorrow.

Not sure any self respecting 10YO would be seen dead with something as old fashioned as a laptop these days!  Tablets is where it is at if you're down with the kids.  Bought child #1 one of these for Xmas:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/hudl/cat21790003.cat?catId=4294813442&icid=hudlpage_buynow_button2

Occasionally comes up for air, but otherwise the TV is mine.  For £120 quid it is great, loads of free games to download, web browsing, etc.

The school my youngest (now 13) goes to implemented a learning scheme using iPADs and parents literally had no choice but to buy one if their children were not to miss out. So I had to buy her one in the end even though she already has a good desktop PC at home.  Annoying. Anyway, she loves the iPAD and it's sometimes difficult to prise it out of her hands and make her go do something practical rather than spend hours on that thing!

ChrisH

Archived