NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter.... A few years elusive

JimmyC

So i had the scope set up earlier as i wanted to get a few pictures, but me being the optimist, i left it assembled and outside to cool as the evening went. There was a period an hour or so ago where the conditions were 'enough' for me to take a quick peek. I looked up at Jupiter and with the 10 and 25mm eyepieces, i could make out the 4 moons and 2 cloud bands. Considering you could barely see anything at all (roughly mag 2-3 not visible), i tought it wasn't a bad go and was worth the hassle. I cannot wait for a properly clear sky! The frac gave me some lovely views of the big planet and i long for a better fix :D

Sounds like you're hooked just like the rest of us. I never tire of seeing Jupiter and the moons in a seemingly endless variety of orbital positions and I even managed to see a shadow transit very recently. If you think the skies are poor where you are try living in Central Scotland.

I have been hooked from a very young age... Then i was let off the hook... and with the recent SN2014J, everything's come back to me. I feel your pain dude, poor skies are just so annoying...

One advantage of observing the planets, especially Jupiter, is that you can see things when the conditions, such as daylight or thin cloud, rule out seeing anything else.

I agree about checking the weather though. I have a couple of apps on my IPad and I probably look at those more than anything else.

Archived