Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modded lifecam problem

Andy Milner

Hi I've modded a lifecam and found it very straight forward using the Billetparts adaptor and fits a treat!

Unfortunately I can't get the camera to detect enough light. Of course I know why it won't focus as I removed the auto focus block lens and filter.

My issue is it won't detect anything unless pointed at a bright light. Otherwise I get complete darkness. I've tried it in sharpcap using recommended settings and to be honest it does not pick anything up at all. Just complete black. Wasted a couple of hours the other night with it in sharpcap and on my scope. Was hoping to image Jupiter. :(

It seems something's majorly wrong. If I just connect it to the laptop it shows some blurred colours indoors.

I must be doing something wrong or have I bricked it??

Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I was extremely careful while modding it. The sensor looks inaccurate so can't understand how I could have damaged it. So really hoping something's a miss with what I'm doing.

Sounds to me as though you either don't actually have the planet on the sensor when you put the camera into the focuser, or that it's so out of focus that you get no recognisable image.

If it is just out of focus then turning the brightness up to maximum may allow you to discern a vague ring that represents the out of focus image.  You will need the image bang in the middle of the field of view though.  The sensors in these cameras are only a few millimetres across and you don't have to be far off to miss them completely.

You could also attempt to focus on a distant target during the day.  That would allow you to find the position of the focuser when the camera sensor is at the focal plane.  Then mark it somehow so you can find it again for imaging.  I used to draw a line on the drawtube with a pencil.

James

Check the soft ware that came with the camera as well also wait for the moon that should be the acid test so to speak ,I had one of these it worked a treat you will also need a ir/uv filter as well,it's tricky to get a small planet on the chip ,so hold back for now not all is lost ,try it in the day time to see if you can focus on a chimney ect

Pat

Fantastic advice guys. I was thinking it was the focus distance but also neglected the fact the sensor is so small.

Thanks will try your tips out and report back when I get a chance try it all out.

Archived