Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Specs vs. contact lenses.

I had a floater removed from my left eye a couple of years ago (my right eye is lazy, so I am pretty much reliant on my left eye for seeing anything). With the floater removal the eye surgeon did a cataract operation at the same time, so they removed my own lens and replaced it with a false one. Unfortunately with this comes the need to wear glasses all the time now. I may have no floater (this was becoming intolerable in it's own way as it was large), but I have gone from not wearing glasses at all to having to wear them all the time now. At the eyepiece I do find it hard  as I am constantly having to take my glasses on and off during a session. On to read my hand controller and off when looking down the eyepiece. I have tried keeping them on and the Hyperions offer good eye relief, but I really do need my eyeball right up against the eyepiece, so the only comfortable way for me is to have them off. The constant on and off was initially a real bind, but I have kind of got used to it now. I am always worried about dropping my glasses, but invariably I hold them in my mouth. Maybe I need a small table of sorts next to the scope where I can put my glasses down. This would also serve a dual purpose as I could put my extra eyepieces and accessories on it as well. I am usually scrabbling around in my accessory boxes on the ground looking for things. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hold them in my mouth. Maybe I need a small table of sorts next to the scope where I can put my glasses down. This would also serve a dual purpose as I could put my extra eyepieces and accessories on it as well. I am usually scrabbling around in my accessory boxes on the ground looking for things.

Never thought of holding specs in my mouth. Great suggestion :D Small table wd be handy too.

I hold them in my mouth. Maybe I need a small table of sorts next to the scope where I can put my glasses down. This would also serve a dual purpose as I could put my extra eyepieces and accessories on it as well. I am usually scrabbling around in my accessory boxes on the ground looking for things.

Never thought of holding specs in my mouth. Great suggestion :D Small table wd be handy too.

hehehe, reminds me of a few weeks ago when i last went out to a dark place to observe. it was properly cold and i also hold the glasses in my mouth when observing.

problem was that i was doing an extended observation of jupiter and had been at the ep for about 15 minutes without a break. So i got up and thought "oh, i'm cold!" and put my glasses back on. Only to wonder why the area around my left ear was all soaking wet.

turns out, when i am concentrating hard and have something wedged in the corner of my mouth and my lips have gone numb - i drool. Yep, said drool collected down the left arm of my specs and duly dripped down the back of my ear when i put them back on.

it was not pleasant. :rolleyes:

but i wont buy a lanyard.

Archived