Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for Planetarium software ?

Hi all,

I'm assisting my sons' school with equipping a new observatory (thread here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211216-equipping-a-school-observatory-from-scratch/#entry2255443)

I'd like to get some planetarium software to be run on a laptop connected to the scope mount which will probably have Skywatcher Synscan on it.

I'd like the software to be able to drive the scope to the same place in the sky that the software is focussed on, and vice versa have the telescope drive the software.  It should also be able to do all the usual things you'd expect from planetarium software, historical events, guided tours, speeded up views, views from other perspectives, fly-bys to other planets, be updateable for ephemeral objects, list of astronomical events, list of objects currently visible, etc etc.

Personally I use Redshift, which can do all these things and I'm pleased with it, but I think others use Stellarium, and I think there's a third option as well whose name I can't remember ?

Any thoughts which one I should go for for the school ?

Cheers,

Stuart

For good 'setup and go' free planetarium I would put stellarium on the list too. Becoming more and more customisable although lacking in the option to view from other perspectives/planets heliocentric etc.... put hey.. its free and looks realistic  :-)

Archived