NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

March 24, 2014: Solar lunchtime again

Spotted some nice activity on the sun just now. A roughly arrow-shaped prom stood out from the western limb (nearly due west), and lower down a filament could be seen zigzagging across the limb, and standing out from the limb at the crossing. Further south still a pair of smaller proms could be seen. Both looked a bit like trees distorted by wind. To the east a couple more proms could be seen: one prominent one fairly far south, and a couple of ridges in the limb northwards. A massive AR could be seen as a load of spots and coiling dark and very bright filamentous structures west and slightly below the centre of the disk. To the north-east another, smaller AR could be seen, with a fairly long filament attached. During the 20 minute session, a bright area of the AR could be seen flaring up brightly, while the filament seem to twist and break up into smaller sections. Lower down a near linear filament could be seen.

Several colleagues came to have a look again. Great fun.

Lovely update Michael, I look forward to reading your Lunchtime reports :smiley:  especially so from Thursday as I start my new Job and I do not think I will have the opportunity to use my scope there,  to start with  :sad:

Archived