Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New SQM record....

laser_jock99

....for darkness at my obsy 22.69! Recorded on Saturday night- admittedly it was cloudy but still an interesting set of readings. When the stars are out the darkest I have recorded is 21.85 although the starlight itself must influence the result? On a cloudy night presumably all you are reading is the back scattered LP from under the clouds.

As an a experiment I went inside the obsy closed the door and put a torch on in nearly closed drawer (3mm gap to let some photons out). In this way the lowest reading I could measure was 23.3 so I'm fairly pleased with 22.69

At this time of year a lot of the local farms have lights burning all night due to the 24/7 lambing activity but it's still nice and dark.   

At this time of year a lot of the local farms have lights on all night due to the lambing activity but it's still nice and dark.   

I don't think that sort light scatters too badly.  Mostly it escapes sideways rather than upwards and only through windows or ventilation gaps in the walls.

James

Archived