Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are these files in ISIS please?

Hi

Finally getting to grips with this superb piece of software and managing to get my most accurate spectra to date,Balmer lines accurate to the pixel!.

I processed 10 fits of del leo and came up with an RMS of 0.14 but in doing so I now have 10 files called @1 to @10, 10files called @pro1 to @pro10,10 files called @pro1.dat to @pro10.dat, 10 files called @raw1 to @raw10, @s,@star.dat, some called _delLeo_20140310_946 etc etc  and a few more for good measure but I`ve no idea what any of them are for?

I had to input a tilt of 0.87 degs to begin processing so I can only assume some of them are tilted images but no help files come with ISIS to explain what they are?? anyone any info on these at all please?

post-15973-0-72418900-1395418553_thumb.p

thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

I think the files are used for intermediate number crunching/calculations. There is probably an option to turn them off.

Nice data capture. How does raw profile processing compare in other apps RSpec/BASS?

John

Hi John

Only just sussed out how ISIS does things so a bit early to compare yet. The easiest is probably Rspec but  the one I can do most with is BASS especially post processing but my calibrating sometimes lets me down . I don`t always id the lines correctly and I maybe put too much emphasis on just using a Neon spectrum which as you know only covers about half the visible. ISIS has a feature using the ALPY 600 calibration unit which uses a combined Argon/Neon lamp (like in the Relco starters) and so you just take a shot of this combined Argon/Neon spectrum, identify the 5852 line which is easily done and I gather ISIS then rather cleverly computes 13 other lines across the whole Argon/Neon  giving a really accurate calibration for the lamp. I have made an adaptor to hold the Relco starter lamp (10 for £6 from Amazon!) bang on line with the slit at the end of the scope so don`t need the calibration module.

I`d like to try BASS now with the Argon/Neon lamp but I would need to id the Argon lines which is not as easy as the Neon!.

cheers

Steve

Steve,

I use the Filly Argon lamp with BASS project for the Nova Cen data.....

If you print out the various sheets from Buil's decorative lamp page, and note along the bottom the registration to Hb and in my case Na, then you can quickly start to identify the lines...

Like many things - the first time is the worst.

(I will include an example in the forthcoming BASS slit spectroscope tutorial)

Archived