Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OTA alignment for a GEM for visual work

I was just curious how some of you setup your OTA in the mount rings for purely visual work. I haven't used my new VX mount yet other than for the few images I've taken. Alignment was done by using BYEOS and the laptop so I've never really used an EP. However using the finder scope to initailly align the stars has twisted me into a couple weird angles and at those angles there would be no way to look in an EP for very long. I was just curious as to how some of you position your OTA in the mounting rings with the mount set to it's home position to get the best visual use. 

Or do you loosen the screws on the rings and rotate the tube? I'm sure this could cause balance issues. Or if just visual and using different EP's the weight doesnt change that much so it's not a concern?

I think a lot of people fit a 3rd ring (can be a diy jobbie) onto the OTA so that when the mounting rings are loosened the tube stays put and is able to rotate without slipping.

Alan

Yep, I use a rotation ring.

A third ring? How does that work? Where would it go and how would one mount it?

You mount it in front of the upper tube ring and it stays tight, you can then loosen the tube rings in any position so the scope does not slip through the rings and you can rotate the tube to any position for comfort.

wilcox_counter1.jpg

They are generally known as Wilcox Rings or rotation rings.  Some people buy a new set of rings and just put them on the tube before the two rings attached to the dovetail bar as seen here on Astro Baby's site Myself, I made mine from some electrical duct and a length of Jubilee clip (much lighter than another set of rings) and has served me well for 10 years now.

Archived