NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunspot "eyelashes"?

jetstream

Ok I got to ask,theres is a sunspot on the far left on the sun(not that little small cluster)that I can see the spots,but the one spot some fine "strands" or actually looks like eyelashes above it-seems an extension of the penumbra(?)what is this called?

Thanks

I'm not sure, Gerry :dontknow: . Is this in white light, or H Alpha? I've only the capacity and means to view in white light but I do see faculae snaking around the Sun's limb to the east and west but they're not really like eyelashes to me :blush: Are you able to stick up an image or sketch of what you are seeing?

I'm not sure, Gerry :dontknow: . Is this in white light, or H Alpha? I've only the capacity and means to view in white light but I do see faculae snaking around the Sun's limb to the east and west but they're not really like eyelashes to me :blush: Are you able to stick up an image or sketch of what you are seeing?

Rob I had a great first light with the Baader wedge,using the included Solar Continuum filter and my Stellarvue 90mm Raptor.I saw masses of the faculae,brighter "snakes" around the sunspots near the disk edge.I looked up sunspot lingo and I believe what was seen is a darker outer edge of penumbra.The sunspots were so sharp looking,the dark central umbra,then a lighter penumbra-but on the one sunspot there was a section of darker "lashes" on the outer edge of the penumbraThey really stood out on this one sunspot.Between two groups of sunspots the faculae masses looked as if they almost connected between them-I figure about a 10-15 deg section of the suns circumference-which must be huge.The Baader Classic Ortho was excellent @ 35x ,but these sunspot "lashes" were seen with the KK 5mm ortho @ 126x.I'm lovin' my orthos...I just found this sketch,but only the darker lashes were easily seen-this is a good sketch IMHO

Sunspots do change noticeably day to day. Excellent though Steve's images are, structural details of sunspots are high resolution and require a much larger image scale than can be shown on a full disc image. Have a look at Montana's signature to see the size that is needed. :smiley:

Sunspots do change noticeably day to day. Excellent though Steve's images are, structural details of sunspots are high resolution and require a much larger image scale than can be shown on a full disc image. Have a look at Montana's signature to see the size that is needed. :smiley:

Peter thank you for mentioning Montanas sig,amazing solar images as well as stunning photographs.I looked thru a bunch of sunspots there,what I saw was course dark penumbral filaments for sure.Today is bright and clear so far,going to have another peak.About 11:30am here seems the best compromise between sun height and pre atmosphere heating.-20c though so maybe not many thermals

Archived