Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Windows Vista networked to Win 7

Tinker1947

It not quite as the header says, i have a Windows Vista PC in the Obby it talks to the BT Router via a WiFi link (Dongle), I have a couple of PC's that  talk to each other inside the property these are  linked together via a Power Line adapter this links them to the BT Router, what i can't get is the Obby PC to link to the 2 PC's on a Home network....it sounds so simple.....:)

its not simple, though it should be,

only certain versions of windows can network to each other
I had to install Win 7 Ultimate over my Win 7 home edition on my laptop to allow me to remote access the laptop from my PC

I used to use Teamviewer for remote control and file transfer between the obs and house pc's over powerline adaptors rather than using "windows" networking or remote desktop -  I could also monitor the obs pc from the smartphone and tablet ... I had a mix of OS's XP, Vista Android  and all worked fine

Peter...

yes Teamview is a good alternative

heres the list of compatable windows versions for remote access

Which PCs can I connect to using Remote Desktop Connection?

You can use a PC running any edition of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, or a PC running Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, or Windows RT 8.1 to initiate a connection. But the remote PC must be running one of these Windows operating systems:

• Windows 8.1 Pro

• Windows 8.1 Enterprise

• Windows 8 Enterprise

• Windows 8 Pro

• Windows 7 Professional

• Windows 7 Enterprise

• Windows 7 Ultimate

• Windows Vista Business

• Windows Vista Ultimate

• Windows Vista Enterprise

• Windows XP Professional

I need to upgrade my 6 core soon

twice this week its bombed out (BSOD) when I was running a batch conversion of 50 raws to Tif

I had to cap the program to stop it maxing out the CPU ans do the same with DSS

sounds like overheating, have you checked for dust in the cpu fan?

I would look to cure the BSOD before replacing any bits, more cooling, clean the memory slots and strips, i use a fly cutter to put a extra 120mm fan in the side removable  casing so it puffs air over the motherboard (memory and bios).....

Yeah definitely a chance of the PSU not up to the task too.

As we don't know what PSU you have a i would go 700 watts minimum if your under that look for more power, my choice would be something like this, modular helps keeps the inner case tidy....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-118-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2466

PSU is fine, I replaced it in Dec when I upgraded my graphics card its a 850w

basically the processes were maxing out the CPU so I capped the usage to 80% and it works fine if just a bit slower
its time for an upgrade anyway, I run lots of very CPU / Memory intensive programs as I do multitrack audio recording and heavy video editing & production

which tends to max out my system esp Adobe Premier video suite when I'm editing HD video

Archived