Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Things not to forget..

NickK

So.. after SGL6,7,8… this is my fourth SGL and I thought it would be good to put down on paper some things :) (feel free to chip in).

1. Tent

Make sure you have the tent (not a festival 1 season popup), tent poles, pegs and guide ropes if they're detachable. Water protected.

2. Sleeping bag + telcos value duvet

Factor for zero degrees and you're onto the right track. Last year Sandrine's sleeping bag just didn't cut the mustard (-19 wind chill) and so a duvet + heater saved her bacon.

3. Small electrical heater

In the case its cold, before bed.. it's useful to warm up the sleeping area.. Gas/oil heaters in the confined space of a tent are a no-no.

4. Sun protection/Shade

Tents don't usually block UV so some form of shade helps.. although I got into the habit of wearing a hat so the brim helps.

Although last year there was no sun.. I have a feeling there may be this year.

Don't forget the sun cream. Go for a higher factor because the amount of time in the sun is probably more akin to days on the beach..

5. Water cube

This will save you countless trips to the water tap..  flush and refresh each morning.

6. Small gas stove for outside cooking

Don't cook inside the tent, some people have canopies that cover them during the cooking.. but you'll want something to heat a cup of tea etc and the food during the day.

7. Food & keeping things cool

Bring a selection of good food, nibbles.. and think soups works well too. 

Powered Coolboxes work although you want to keep them out of sunlight. Don't expect things to be kept frozen, just cool, so plan your food and when things will need to be used up. I freeze part of my food in advance and usually after a few days it's defrosted and ready. Use a freezer block too and power the coolbox in the car..

8. Equipment insurance

It's worth checking that your insurance covers you being in the field.. accidents can and do happen.

9. Ear plugs.. because it may be idillic just before snoring starts..

8. Bring a small shoulder bag - useful for carrying stuff too and from the wash room.

Just a word on things that work and don't work:

1. Get out and say Hi.. also people may be busy just at that instant but they're likely to be sociable!

2. Steer clear of equipment - you may not see all the wires. Keep dogs away from equipment.

3. Relax.. 

4. I you have a problem - ask.. especially those that have a similar scope setup.  

5. Lastly .. North is facing from the event field back towards the main entrance of the camp site - so this helps get your setup in the right location for polar alignment.

No.. but I did forget to mention the hookup!

Electrical hookups are 16A circular. So you'll want something like this: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mobile-mains-kit-p155317 to protect against short circuits (intact this is the exact one I have!). Also you'll probably need at least 5-6 meters of cable. The example is 20m.. so you'll have plenty left over!

If it helps at all I will be taking my work van to tow my caravan with. I think I am arriving Tuesday (work permitting) and I live in Kent so if anyone needs it I will have quite a bit of space spare in the back for "lumpy" stuff. It is also possible at this stage that my friend will be meeting me there so could even have a spare seat!

Archived