Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion G3 Starshoot CCD

gary1968

Howdy, I have been 2ing and frowing for a while, modded dslr or ccd? I have recently discovered the Orion Starshoot G3 camera and am tempted by the price......

so, my question, does anyone on here have any experience with this camera? There is very little on the net regarding reviews or sample images, which I must admit, worries me a bit, lol.

your thoughts appreciated as usual folks.

Gaz

i have not got that camera but i have got a orion starshoot IV the camera is fine but the capture software is a pain you have to manualy create a folder then save the video  to the folder you have created. you have to do this with every capture . but the orion capture software does produce better results than using sharpcap 

I've got a G3 but haven't been able to get a capture yet, some silly sod put the date in the wrong way round in the hand controller the other night! I just couldn't figure out why the scope was shooting off in all sorts of weird directions. I ended up manually pointing at Jupiter, but the view via the camera on live view was great with all the moons visible as well. Now of course we have the clouds back :mad:

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the OSC version of this camera  a few months ago and I'm very pleased with it. For a 1/2" ccd the price is very good.

I found the big pixels to be very sensitive. Using a Sw200 and last night a C8 @ f6.3 the target was in view after slewing from an alignment star.

Most Messier galaxies nicely fit onto the chip @ about f1000. E.g. M51, M101 and last night M13 (globular).

The supplied software is OK for image capture but not too wonderful for processing. I use Nebulosity2 then Paint Shop Pro X6

These were very early hence poor tracking and optics but they were taken with an orion g3 mono. Its sensitivity blew me away. You have to consider the chip and pixel size and the field of view it will give you with your telescope or lens system.

ja8a4u4a.jpgetuvedyr.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Currently I have 2 scopes I image with, a ed80 and a 150pds. I am now on the lookout for a altair astro 6rc to complete my imaging set. I am considering a osc G3 or a modded dslr. I currently image with a unmodded 1000d so was thinking the G3 might compliment the 1000d with the 3 scopes.

Gaz

Nice images btw, thanks for sharing

Sent from my Tab 3 using Tapatalk and fums.....

Archived