NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A chance discovery about binoviewers....

Helen

A year or so ago I bought a pair of WO binoviewers.  My initial testing of them was very unsuccessful.  I couldn't seem to get the right position of the eyepieces to get my brain to see the same thing in both.  I also had problems getting even one to focus in my refractors even with the provided barlow (another design whinge.... why do they provide an attachment that seeks to cure a lack of in-focus in a long tube that actually adds length :confused: ) .  I really liked the idea of using 2 eyes though so have kept the binoviewers just in case.

Well I'm glad I did.  I made some progress using the Mak as there's plenty of focus travel.  But the real revelation came by accident when playing with the Megrez90 refractor a couple of nights ago.  The 2inch diagonal had too long a focus path so I switched that out for a 1.25.  In doing this I inadvertently put the binoviewers in upside down (it was dark!!).  I then found that it was MUCH easier to get my eye position right and I enjoyed some lovely 3D views of the Moon.  Result  :grin:  :grin:   So if you're struggling it may be worth a try :wink:

Helen

Archived