Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To get better views of Mars with a 250px.. New Barlow or Eyepiece?

A 6mm BCO orth for £50 will give you about as good a view of mars you could get - atmosphere depending.  The 6mm Vixen for £109 that John is reviewing sounds a great alternative if budget permits. In fact the new Vixens could be a great overall choice as a planetary eyepiece given the extra comfort factor, which is important given the time and patience that Mars observing requires !

That is exactly what I'm umming and ahhing about at the moment. I sort of feel I should try an ortho - lots of experienced voices seem to rave about them, and I don't have glasses - but whatever the 10mm EP that came with my Lunt 35 is (and I'd love to know what its design is) it has short eye relief and I do find it ... tiring. The 6mm SLV would be double my planned budget - but I think I could be tempted based on some of the early reports, and some of the reviews of the NLVs (which can't be that different...)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mars   I found I likes 240x the few times I tried it now,  but it is hard work because it is still quite low down and conditions do not always help, and scope really needs to be in the sweet spot, hour plus cooling minimum without fan to get the best on the 10 inch SW. In relation to Andy's point about missing a gap between 5 and 8. Jupiter needs less more often. Mars I feel is more a target push it as far as you can on the other hand. 

I've only had one or two nights where the conditions were decent for mars but the BGO 5mm with 240x and showed some really nice detail, the best I've seen it so far preferring it over my 6mm Radian on that target on both occasions when I had such conditions, but the eyepieces are rather different anyway in what they excel at.  I find myself preferring the 6mm Radian on Jupiter whereas the ortho on Mars/Moon so far, but it is certainly not a case as if it is very significant, both work well on all of them.

In the end I think for the 10 inch skyliner having a 5,6,7,8 in the case would not be overkill in the long haul for a planetary set I think, as you may find yourself wanting to use them in the long run.  I agree though that for a next all rounder a 6mm would be a good move Andy, my 2 pence anyway.

You may also find having the orthos the optical improvement over the BSTs allows pushing mags as bit more with their very sharp images & contrast.  I also found when I got the 6mm Radian, when I had the cheaper 6mm SW UWA I used it much less since the contrast and scatter was not nearly as good, The Radian changed all that making 200x a much more often used magnification.

I'm getting reasonable detail at x190, but it takes moments of good seeing and patience.... I tried two nights back with a range of 8 - 12mm EPs I have, and to be frank, there wasn't a lot of difference. However, my scope is a 5" f12, which is eyepiece tolerant...

Chris

Surprisingly, I was able to make out some detail on Mars, a few nights ago, using a 90mm f10 refractor @ 91x. The disk was extremely small, but I was still able to make out the north polar cap, a portion of Mare Acidilium (sic) and subtle mottling elsewhere, and Mars was no more than 20 degrees above the southeast horizon! I can't wait till next month when the disk will be nearly twice the size and I observe it higher in the sky.

That is exactly what I'm umming and ahhing about at the moment. I sort of feel I should try an ortho - lots of experienced voices seem to rave about them, and I don't have glasses - but whatever the 10mm EP that came with my Lunt 35 is (and I'd love to know what its design is) it has short eye relief and I do find it ... tiring. The 6mm SLV would be double my planned budget - but I think I could be tempted based on some of the early reports, and some of the reviews of the NLVs (which can't be that different...)

The 6mm WO SPL is £69!  :grin:

can I slightly hijack this thread with a couple of questions, as a newcomer. I have a 6 or 7 year old orion 6" f5 bought second hand and it came with a 10 and 25mm plossl. these seem to be very good quality, giving lovely clear sharp views. would anyone know what make they are? they don't have any make info on them. and noe for s stupid question - are they orthos?!!! I think not but thought I may as well ask.

regarding bst's, I bought a best x2 Barlow and use this a lot with the 10mm on Jupiter and find this fairly okay. a bit fuzzy (though from this forum I think I need to learn patience, and get a seat) but much nicer than the 4mm bst I also bought, but don't really enjoy at all so far.

could anyone recommend a good 5mm or 6mm ortho in the £50 to £60 price range? I have confess I'm completely lost in knowing whats good and what isn't with EPs, other than TVs.

Right, pushed the button on a Vixen SLV 6mm. It's now my most expensive eyepiece! Mars better be good! :)

Kevin, I've not really used ortho's but the Baader Classic Orthos are in that price range, and supposed to be good. Their predecessor, the Baader Genuine Ortho (BGO) were supposed to be slightly better - but are now only available second hand, and seem a bit more expensive. John did a review: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/baader-classic-ortho-plossl-review.html 

can I slightly hijack this thread with a couple of questions, as a newcomer. I have a 6 or 7 year old orion 6" f5 bought second hand and it came with a 10 and 25mm plossl. these seem to be very good quality, giving lovely clear sharp views. would anyone know what make they are? they don't have any make info on them. and noe for s stupid question - are they orthos?!!! I think not but thought I may as well ask.

regarding bst's, I bought a best x2 Barlow and use this a lot with the 10mm on Jupiter and find this fairly okay. a bit fuzzy (though from this forum I think I need to learn patience, and get a seat) but much nicer than the 4mm bst I also bought, but don't really enjoy at all so far.

could anyone recommend a good 5mm or 6mm ortho in the £50 to £60 price range? I have confess I'm completely lost in knowing whats good and what isn't with EPs, other than TVs.

There  is a 6mm BGO floating on astro buy and sell for a good price right now, well within your stated budget. 

Right, pushed the button on a Vixen SLV 6mm. It's now my most expensive eyepiece! Mars better be good! :)

Hope you enjoy it, no doubt you will  :smiley:

Archived