Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dovetail safety bolts?

I've used my 150 Mak and the 127 before that and never had or used bolts at the end of the dovetail, presumably they are to stop the tube from sliding off the mount?

my C8 has them and wondered why... Is it because its just a heavier ota (although it is not actually heavier, just bigger)

only asking as ideally I'd need to remove the rear one to better balance the OTA...

thoughts please :-)

Go and put them on all your scopes NOW!!! Don't even finish reading this post!!!!!!  :eek:

Seriously, if you don't use them, it will happen, and you know what 'it' is...

Dovetail clamps come loose. People make mistakes. Without end-stop bolts these lead to optical fatalities. Once during a spell when one of our scopes was idle for a month I went to check it and, with the hot-cold-hot-cold cycle, the dovetail had worked its way down through the saddle plate and only the stop-bolt had halted its suicidal progress.

Olly

Archived