NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is a 5MP ccd good for astrophotograpy?

luna

I am looking to purchase the 'Celestron Neximage 5MP Solar System CCD Astronomy Eyepiece Camera'

(i) I would like to know if this can be connected to a Samsung 7" tablet

(ii) Is it a good CCD at £199

I did want to get a used Canon DLSR camera at £150, but I don't think it would be any good for my Nexstar 130SLT telescope, it may be too heavy.

is it this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Neximage-Solar-System-Imager/dp/B006ZN4VE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394372044&sr=8-1&keywords=%27Celestron+Neximage+5MP+Solar+System+Camera%27

Celestron NexImage 5 high resolution camera for Moon and Planets - USB Connection - powerful camera for lunar- and planetary imaging
Camera Resolution: 5MP - 9 different settings to choose from ranging from 640x480 to 2592x1944
Frames per Second: 6.23 to 52.37 at the lowest resolution, 0.71 to 5.99 at the highest resolution
Shutter Speeds: 1/10000 to 30 seconds, Chip: 1/2.5" format, color CMOS Sensor, Sensor Size: 5.7mm x 4.28mm (7 mm diagonal)

not ccd? maybe better off saving a bit more and buy a dslr,or check secondhand for one

I am looking to purchase the 'Celestron Neximage 5MP Solar System CCD Astronomy Eyepiece Camera'

I did want to get a used Canon DLSR camera at £150, but I don't think it would be any good for my Nexstar 130SLT telescope, it may be too heavy.

Tablets are not designed to cope with the enormous amount of data that a modern high speed planetary  camera can download on to a hard disk, you need a fast laptop with    plenty of  hard disk space and full USB2 data bus implementation, not all laptops have this BTW. The camera you mention is a planetary camera and will be fine on the 130SLT, a DSLR will not. The resolution of the camera is not the critical point of consideration as this camera has extremely small pixels which means the chip size is quite small ( this is fine for planetary imaging if your GoTo system is accurate enough) but very small pixels usually mean a lack of sensitivity and limited dynamic range. From what you have written I would advise you to take your time and do a lot more research before deciding on any purchase. 

Regards,

A.G

I use an Orion StarShoot 5mp imager with my 130SLT and have gotten some pretty good images of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. I am having trouble with my mount at the moment so haven't been able to use the DSLR on it yet, but just putting the camera on the scope, I think that the mount would hold it just fine. It doesn't seem too heavy at all. (The 5mp imager is pretty hefty in its own right and pretty close to the weight of the DSLR body.)

It will not work with a tablet

It's not a CCD but an "entry level" CMOS based planetary camera, not as good as some other planetary/lunar cameras ;)

Phew, good thing I did not purchase the camera. I may try for a used £150 canon dlsr camera. I could stabilise the tripod by using a 5kg sandbag.

You have to make sure that the scope can come into focus with a DSLR, a Canon DSLR has a back focus of 55mm from the flange of the T mount to the sensor this means that the scope must have enough inward travel of the focus tube to be to achieve focus with a DSLR, I am not familiar with SLTs  so you need to ask or do a bit of research. BTW a DSLR is fine for shooting the Moon in a single shot mode but I doubt very much if it is going to be of any use for the Planets with a scope of 650mm of FL. As I said take your time and do a bit of research.

Regards,

A.G

Archived