NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal Reducer for Observing

I have a CPC1100 with a focal length of 2800mm, so a focal ratio of f/10. I have read a few comments in various threads that a focal reducer can be a useful accessory but most of those comments relate to photography.

What are the advantages (if any) of having a focal reducer with this sort of scope when using it for observing?

Thanks

Derek

The F6.3 focal reducer will give you a wider field of view and a lower magnification threshold for visual use and a brighter/faster performance for AP. The F3.3 focal reducer is suitable only for AP and then only for small chip sensors.  :smiley:

Thanks guys.

Since posting this thread I have found this review of the Celestron f6.3 Focal Reducer, which appears to be the one specifically designed for my scope.

The posts in that thread suggest that I am not going to see any benefit in FOV due to the fact most of my EPs are 2" but it doesn't mention whether or not I would gain anything in terms of light gathering as a result of the scope being faster.

Am I likely to see more (or clearer) DSOs using the FR through my 2" EPs?

Archived