Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have I got a duff power tank?

Perhaps it's because I've just gone and got myself a new goto eq mount, but my new Powertank (the 7aH skywatcher one) doesn't seem to last very long. 

I was out the other night for about an hour and a half, and then tonight within ten mins the "requires charging" light comes on and then starts flashing at me. I assume that means it's about to run out?

I charged it as per the instructions when I got it, but now when I charge it, the "fully charged" light's come on straight away. 

Hmmmmm?

Hi, If you are like me (still new to this exciting hobby) you are continually wizzing round the sky looking for new things to look at then you are probably eating up your battery power quite rapidly, no expert but I would think it would be quite feasible to take a 7ah to its recharge level in quite a short space of time. I do not know what level it is set to prompt for recharge but as this type of battery is not designed to be continuously completely discharged I assume it must be set at a percentage of total discharge. If you continued to use it you may find the GoTo starts to misbehave and it will not do the battery any good. 

As for the fully charged light coming on immediately that does sound like a fault assuming you have partially discharged between charges.

Perhaps it's because I've just gone and got myself a new goto eq mount, but my new Powertank (the 7aH skywatcher one) doesn't seem to last very long. 

I was out the other night for about an hour and a half, and then tonight within ten mins the "requires charging" light comes on and then starts flashing at me. I assume that means it's about to run out?

I charged it as per the instructions when I got it, but now when I charge it, the "fully charged" light's come on straight away. 

Hmmmmm?

Hi I have had mine for a year and it is knackerd now. The problem is that it does not hold charge anylonger, it needs recharging after about 45 minutes on HEQ5 pro. Best to save for a lithium leisure battery as these are designed to last a long time on slow discharge and don't suffer from sulphating problems of the lead acid variety  due to the charge level sinking too low.

A.G

Archived