NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quality but relative cheap

So I found out I don't really have a good scope and I'll only be able to look at the moon and maybe Jupiter...

Considering I don't have a budget at the moment due of having no money, I was wondering if you guys could help me so I could start save money for it

I did saw something on here about 750mm and 1500mm ? And that you can see deep sky with the 1500mm ?

At the end, I just really want to be able to see planets, stars and all the pretty deep sky things (lost the name) with maybe astrophotography in the future

What would you guys recommend to start with to see planets and stars, that's relative easy to save for ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wenskir - I am very new here as well, so you can take anything I say with a pinch of salt (not that I am a liar, I just might be misguided!) - I was recommended a Dobsonian by the helpful people on this site and took delivery of it yesterday, so still not managed to get out with. The 150p is a decent price at £200 and very popular i believe - might be something to aim at.

From what I understand they are not ideal for astrophotography and, either way, that is going to get very expensive from the off to get the right kit, so might be worth getting something a bit cheaper to start with and learn the skies and then see if you want to get into imaging....it's kind of what I am doing!

Good luck searching....it will drive you potty, there are so many choices, but i am sure you get some more informed help soon!

Hi Wenskir, you don't want tp pay too little as you will not be satisafied with the views, a good starting point is a refractor which will show you most things in great detail, an aperture of 100mm will be a good place to start and i would recommend this one: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2683_Skywatcher-Evostar-102-on-EQ3---Refractor-telescope-102-1000mm.html 

If you want to spend a lot of time on discovering DSO's (deep sky objects) then a reflector will be your best option with an aperture of 200mm here: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1191_GSO-Dobsonian-680---8----200-1200mm-Telescope---Deluxe.html

I hope this gives you some ideas for starters, prices are competetive on this website, so this will give you an idea of what you may expect to pay. Good luck in your search.

Hi Marky ! Thanks for your reply. I clicked your link to see what it was. Is it a scope you can take outside ? I live in an apartment surrounded with other apartments and trees...I'm very lucky that's I've got a big park with open fields like 5 minutes away...

You can takae them out Wenskir, but if you are in an apartment and up and down stairs all the time it might get a bit wearing! In which case you might want to go for something that can be packed up more easily like the refractor above?

What is the Budget you have in mind? (Hoeveel geld denk je te willen uitgeven? ;) )

The better refractors come in handy transport cases, like the Evostar Pro range. (80ED Pro, 100ED Pro and 120ED Pro)

If it´s for pure visual use, you can get away with a very portable Alt-Az Mount, like the Vixen Porta II.

Dutch ! woehoe !

Well, I don't know yet. I'm getting a job now (signing tomorrow if I'm lucky), but at the moment they don't give me enough hours to work. I'm trying to save with a lot of ways and even considering selling stuff I don't use anymore.

Wow, you guys are way to fast with typing.

Thanks rwilkey ! Am I able to take the 200mm aperture outside ?

Hi Wenskir, the refractor will be more mobile in my opinion, however, it depends on your carrying ability and how many stairs, the dobsonian is a good solution, but you might struggle a bit, perhaps consider the 150mm which will be slightly lighter and more mobile here: http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2493_Skywatcher-Skyliner-150P---Classic-6--f-8-parabolic-Dobsonian.html

Dobs are big mostly,  even if you want to carry them any distance to a park, the 150p has a tube that is around a meter long. with that in mind I would recommend something like the heritage 130p if you want to get a Dobsonian.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

and is also cheap. It only weighs 6 kgs, it is very easy to carry in one hand, and for that size carries a punch in terms of aperture giving you the ability to see deeper sky objects. You could take it on a bus, even a bike perhaps ( I know some do ) .  You'll have to sit on the ground with it though if you go out, that never bothered me, but is something to consider if you don't have a chair or small table to put it on. Knowing Dutch parks there will be plenty tables and benches around anyway :smiley:

See this video for the sizes. You can see how small the heritage is with a 130mm aperture even compared to the 150p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEs_MMcJ7JA&list=PL89258EB0849037F4&feature=c4-overview-vl

For the bigger tubes see here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDY8extsWH8&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL89258EB0849037F4

All the best with buying :smiley:

I was sort of under the assumption you may not have car, don't know why :undecided: , but anyway, with one flight of stairs and if you can transport the bigger Dobs by car it is not much of an issue, though if it involves walking a hundred meters or more into a park I would recommend something small and compact you can carry easily.

I have a beginners travel scope, and a Skywatcher 8-inch dob.

For the budget, I would consider getting a portable refractor scope which can be used in daytime as well as night time (reflectors have upside down images / refractors are the correct way up)

When you upgrade in future to an 8-inch dob or bigger, keep the refractor for holidays, weekends away, for quick "Grab and Go" observing, or when your friends are round and you need two scopes.

It will be very useful.

A do-it-all portable refractor will be good for you to start out.

My 8-inch dob weighs around 22kg.

Although the views are fantastic, I need to be sure the viewing will be good before I move 22kg around the back garden.

If you go for a big dobsonian scope now - get some binoculars as well.

I have 15x70 Revelations (£50 in the UK) with a £10 monopod from Ebay / and a £16 tripod from Lidls.

So in summary - you can get binoculars / travel refractor / big dobsonian = £50 / £100+ / £200+

The best way to decide is the try out the equipment for yourself at a local astronomy club.

@Alex: oh wow, that scope looks intimidating. And no, I don't have a car but I only have to walk like 5 minutes before I'm in the park. I don't mind sitting on the ground either.

@Reeny: I've got a problem there. The only astronomy club I found, says it's accepting people who are studying, teaching, etc astronomy. And I don't think I'll be able to move 22kg, don't have the best back.

@Alex: oh wow, that scope looks intimidating. And no, I don't have a car but I only have to walk like 5 minutes before I'm in the park. I don't mind sitting on the ground either.

In that case I would say your best option in the Dob range would be the heritage or something that size and weight, there are other small Dobs too, a Dob or a refractor I would say as already said, but you'll need a tripod as well to put it on  adding to the cost, and you need to carry also, but I suspect it is doable. Something like what are called alt-z mounts will not be too heavy I suspect, but others will be able to help better with the setup of a refractor. The Dob or refractor both have their pros and cons, something else to think about and check up on what you think will suit you best.

Here is a little intro on a rundown giving you the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJP1RguLXI

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLM5fRxAaC_cx-7xgBfGHGAi9d144AoRZ

By the way, the heritage is like my cat, it is not at all intimidating, nor does it bite at all  :grin:

Alex, I'm a noob in this...Everything is intimidating for me xD

But I think I might go for the Heritage 130P. It's much easier for me to start saving for. And the guy on the youtube vid said it's a great scope for beginners.

Dutch ! woehoe !

Well, I don't know yet. I'm getting a job now (signing tomorrow if I'm lucky), but at the moment they don't give me enough hours to work. I'm trying to save with a lot of ways and even considering selling stuff I don't use anymore.

One of the best ways to save money on a telescope is to buy one that is used or secondhand. :)

Do as much reading around as you think you need to in the meantime while saving to learn about the scopes. 

I would also consider this, since you live in the Netherlands depending on where you are light pollton can be a problem. If skies are not dark enough  deep sky viewing may be very limited form your park depending on skies, but planets are always doable targets. 

If you only want to view planets the refractor will provide a nicer cleaner image, certainly at the same aperture size this is the rule. The 130p is a great all rounder though for moon planets and DSOs in that price range, whereas the refractor will be less good since it will have less aperture for that money for deep sky.

The Heritage is small, so, in Holland you could trake it on a train or a  bus with all your great transport over there, and you could get somewhere darker with it comfortably. :smiley:  It does very well for its size. I own one myself so know how it compares to my twice a bigger second  scope, and I still use it to date,  and find it gives some excellent deep sky views from a darker site.

Good luck :smiley:

I will ! I'm just gonna read this forum to find some tips and such.

And it's actually pretty dark from where I live. And the last few nights there weren't any clouds so I kept staring at all the stars

@Alex

So that I can save for that too, what would you recommend for eyepieces and barlows for Heritage 130P ?

I know the scope comes with 1.25" 10mm & 25mm, but do I need more..?

I already know there is a Barlow 2x where I'm gonna save for, cause I don't know if mine Barlow 3x fits, I don't even know from what brand that one is...

Archived