New to the hobby !

Hello i am new to this hobby, very new. I would like some advise on tracking planets ETC, i have tried Jupiter but i can't seem to increase it in size, i am not sure if i am just focusing on a start or not. i have three telescopes and none show results. Any help that will guide me to the first step on the ladder will be grateful :) many thanks.   

Hello and welcome to SGL.

If you let people know which scopes you have they can let you know what you should be seeing.

Even at 10x magnification (when I use my 10x50 binoculars) I can make out it is a planet and even see the four moons. Anything from 30 and above you may start to see some of the atmosphere but that depends on how much light the scope (aperture) is letting in.

To make sure you are looking in the right place almost everyone on here will recommend using the Stellarium software. It is a free download and free to use which shows where to find all the objects out there.

Welcome to SGL. You'll find eveything you want to know here. If you let us know what equipment you have someone will be able to sort things out for you, and perhaps describe what you should expect to be able to see. Sometimes expectations based on Hubble type pictures can be way beyond reality.

Keep at it, it's well worth the effort and we've all had to start somewhere.

Best wishes and clear skies.

jason

Hi and welcome to SGL Paul - Knowing what scope's you have tried would help people offer some more solutions. Have a look at the field of view calculator here http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php put in your scope and the eye piece you were using and that will give you an idea of the size you should be looking at.

Have you tried to focus on a distant object during the day, so that you can get a feel for how the focusing works?

Unless I too am missing something, you will not increase the size of Jupiter or anything else when visually observing, but you will be able to see more detail and possibly a wider/larger area of sky depending on the EP used.

Example, using the 150/750 SW my 32mm UWA 70° EP gives Jupiter as a fairly undetailed object but shows most of the surrounding sky and stars.

My 6mm UW 60° EP shows lots of banding detail on Jupiter and maybe all 4 moons depending on where they happen to be.

Even with the 6mm Jupiter only appears to be about the size of a garden pea.

For Jupiter, I find it best to pin point focus on one of the moons and then center the planet.

But the current weather and atmosphere will greatly affect your views. :(

Rich

Unless I too am missing something, you will not increase the size of Jupiter or anything else when visually observing, but you will be able to see more detail and possibly a wider/larger area of sky depending on the EP used.

Changing the eyepiece to a higher power one (which is a lower focal length in mm) should increase the apparent size of Jupiter - though as you say, at the expense of how wide the field of view is. However, like you say Rich, mostly, about the size of a pea is as big as it gets, as the atmosphere limits the highest magnification that can be reasonably used.

Good tip about focussing on the moons too, that really helps.

Archived