NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

127 Mak capability?

Was out last night with the above scope to view Jupiter. The best view I gad was using a 10mm eyepiece. Sky conditions just weren't up to using anything more powerful.

I wondered if anyone could tell me what eyepieces can be used to resolve the planets on nights of good to very good seeing.

Many thanks

Clive

For your Mak the top limit if all things come together is about 260x mag.  In real life you probably won't achieve this except with the moon.  I would aim maximum at 5mm EP.  A 2x Barlow with your 10mm gives you this but its putting more glass in the light path of course.

Hi Clive, for planetary observing you don't really need a wide field eyepiece just something with enough eye relief, to suit you, and sharp. If the standard 10 mm has enough eye relief for you then a good plossl or ortho, of around 10 mm, should improve your views. :smiley:     

I find that 8mm is about the best I can use with my SW127. Only on very rare conditions that you could get away with 5mm.

I have the mak127 and I would agree that the 8mm is about the best you can achieve with it on most nights.

Archived