essex street lighting

evostar90

Ive just seen something on facebook about an e-petition asking essex county coucil to turn street lighting back on from dusk to dawn, although I dont live in that part of essex that turns lighting off a night I hope they dont get their way

lorraine

Ive just seen something on facebook about an e-petition asking essex county coucil to turn street lighting back on from dusk to dawn, although I dont live in that part of essex that turns lighting off a night I hope they dont get their way

lorraine

I hope they don't as well. They're a long way into the project and spent a lot of money so hopefully they'll stick to it, although Basildon CC are being very awkward about it.

http://www.essexhighways.org/Transport-and-Roads/Roads-and-Pavements/Street-lighting/Part-night-lighting.aspx

There has been a lot of 'backlash' around the country about Part Night Lighting schemes. Street lights make people feel safe even if they are in bed........

The reality is that crime rates demonstrably go down during the switch off hours as criminals and antisocial youths also need light for their activities. But you can't tell people this they don't believe the facts. The other thing is that after switch off any criminal act or accident (that would have probably occurred anyway) is automatically blamed on the switch off. It's a no win situation.

Worse still in some places the sodium lamps are being replaced with over bright white LED installations and more of them because they are cheaper to run. IMO light pollution is more likely to get worse in the future.

Archived