NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

west berkshire

booth_robert

Newbury Astro spring to mind as a group. Never met them, though.

Around Combe Gibbet or Walbury Hill are good. Met a policeman up there (who was a bit puzzled, then curious) who suggested "Letcombe downs", to the north. Or possibly "Lambourne downs". I'm not entirely sure, and I'm sure he was just thinking of where was dark in his patrol region. There is a Letcombe Bassett, and there may be somewhere around there - I need to have a look sometime.

I'd be curious about finding more dark sites around here though - there isn't that much dark around here :/

Thanks for the Google Earth link... Will check it out around Marlborough. It should be pretty dark around here but there are a lot of old yellow streetlights.

Records ... The Ridgeway is certainly pretty dark. Swindon Stargazers go to Uffcot, which I guess is in the foothills of the Ridgeway.

Abingdon AS do observing sessions from either Bury Down or The White Horse carpark at Uffington, both on the Ridgeway so I guess they should be ok, not been myself to confirm.

Neither are perfect, Bury Downs suffers LP from Didcot, and in some way White Horse Hill is worse with the LP from Swindon

Archived