Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attaching a DSLR to EQ5

DeepThought

Hi

Hopefully this is really simple but I have today taken delivery of a second hand EQ5 Pro and wondered how would be best to attach a DSLR directly to it?

It comes with what looks a lot like a dovetail mounting plate with a threaded hole in it that I am hoping beyond all hope is a quarter inch tripod thread so it can use one of these and a small ball head:

http://r.ebay.com/2KRx0x

Has anyone done this themselves?

More difficult questions will no doubt follow shortly once I take on polar alignment.

You never know, I may even get to use it outdoors at some point.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should be able to bolt the camera (or lens) 1/4" unc thread directly to the dovetail plate. If not there are short dovetail plates made specially for this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-Photo-Vixen-Dovetail-with-2-x-1-4-Camera-Screws-and-Allen-Key-/251442029094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8b1ce226

Avoid the ball head if you can as this allows the possibility of unwanted movement or drift during long exposures.

It's annoying you can't see the underside of that dovetail from modern astronomy to see if you need an allen key to attach and remove the camera (which would be annoying) or if there is a recess where it would all sit nicely in the saddle. I'm thinking a longer dovetail with the camera and screw just outside of the saddle so nothing underneath for the screw to sit on and prevent the dovetail bedding in.

Jd

A normal Manfrotto quick release plate (200PL, I think) attaches quite securely to my HEQ5. It needs to be 90deg rotated from normal camera use position in such a way that the notches on the mount base do not let the quick release plate wiggle from the screw pressure. When oriented carefully it feels quite secure, though it obviously isn't designed for that purpose.

Archived