Newbie question regarding scope and dslr

Hi guys, from my previous thread I decided to go with a Celestron AVX mount as I feel like it would fit my needs for using a DSLR while planning to upgrade for future scopes

My next question regards in using a scope with a dslr (canon 60d) and I was wondering if you can give me some recommendations as to what scope I should go for in conjunction with a dslr. (I assume I also need a t-adapter for the scope as well right?)

any recommendations would be great and price I'm not really concerned about, with the max being around 300 dollars for it.

appreciate it guys and thanks!

It depends to some degree on what you are wanting to image, but an 80ED refractor is a popular scope to begin imaging. They offer a wide field of view so are good for many DSOs, however if planets or smaller galaxies are your thing then the short focal length is a disadvantage. Longer focal lengths also bring their own complications.

I'm not sure about US prices but I would imagine that you would probably have to look at buying second hand to get something for $300.

Hi (Matt?)

There is no real recommendation...It will depend most on WHAT you wish to image.

I am starting (very slowly) with AP and feel the place to cut my teeth is lunar/planetary. Ideally here you need a long focal length unlike the harder DSO's which require greater FOV and faster optics. But faster optics require experience and bring a whole host of issues not suited to a beginner.

You are correct about the T-Ring adaptor. A popular budget planetary starter scope is the Skywatcher 127 MAK which is easy to connect with said T-ring

Lots of folk on here use them to good effect.

HTH

Steve

ED80 for DSO's and a mak for lunar/planetary.

I have a Nikon D5100 and use the standard 18-55mm f3.5 for landscape milky way shots and use the body directly onto the scope for lunar/planetary shots.

Saving for a Celestron AVX mount and an ED80 for DSO work.

Archived