NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for some general feedback, please.

Hi,

I spent a great afternoon looking at the sun today (home-made solar filter - baader film - on my Skywatcher 130p). It was my first time, saw some lovely sun spots - awesome! I decided to try and get some photos, so I hooked up my Canon 400D on the SW 2x barlow and too a few snaps. It was very difficult to get it in focus, and next time I'll probably try it without the barlow. Anyway, the thing it, although the sun was white, the photos I tool all had a purple cast to them, and so I wondered if it indicates that something's not right with my scope. Here's a sample image from today. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Kev.

post-30297-0-45597900-1392578302_thumb.j

My general feedback: well done! I've never tried solar imaging so good on you for even trying. Loads of people have never dared! I can see sunspots on your image.

I've found I can vastly improve some of the appaling AstroSnaps I take by playing around with the image in Adobe Lightroom - so you might be able to make your image more to your liking by fiddling around with it on a computer....

Yes, no need for the barlow unless doing a mosaic.

Do you have an lcd on the 400d to either look at live view or review the images; that is the way i'd sort focus out, take an image, review, adjust focus a bit, re image, and repeat until sun spots are really sharp.

I don't know, but i suspect if you got the image less over exposed the hue may normalise; what white balance setting are you using? It might be a case of trial and error adjusting the white balance.

Does your scope cap have a small hole to just let a bit of solar light through?

Good start, it's always nice to see sun spots.

James

I am no expert at photographing the sun but the purple fringe around the sun looks like chromatic aberration caused by your camera lens. You may be able to reduce that by editing your photo using Photoshop or similar.

Hiya, and thanks for the feedback. I'll try without the barlow next time, ran out of time today, and it was just amazing to be looking at the sun. The kids were amazed too. The photo does look better when I completely desaturate it (the white balance was set to normal bright sunlight, and I tried several ISO settings, but the results were the same). I was just concerned the colour was down to some misalignment or something in the scope.

Cheers,

Kev. 

It looks closer to what I actually saw through the eyepieces without colour. I might play around with it again, but not tonight. Off now to watch Top Gear and have a glass of wine!

Cheers all,

Kev.

Archived