NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Omegon Super Plossl Eyepiece

bomberbaz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omegon-Super-Ploessl-Eyepiece-1-25/dp/B002Y5GTLS/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392290580&sr=1-6&keywords=4.5mm+eyepiece

I am looking for a small lightweight eyepiece that doesnt bust the bank and will give reasonable views for a grab n go I am taking on hols. At F4 ish I am not expecting the world and viewing will be done without my glasses so ER isnt as critical.

These will be giving about 100x and 200x barlowed

I have not been able to find much info on these so wondered if anyone has experience of them or their reputation as a manufacturer, are they clones etc

TIA

Steve

Thats a new one on me Steve but the specs look good for the price ie: fully multi-coated and a 55 degree field of view. The eye relief is a pretty tight 2.4mm though (as you would expect from a 4mm plossl) and I wonder if that deep eye cup would get in the way of getting your eye that close to the eye lens ?

Those specs look very much like the highly praised Sterling Plossl from the Smart Astronomy in the States. Only the Sterling has a different body with no eye cup. As John says, you would think the eye cup would hinder the experience with such a tiny eye relief. 

You can actually buy the original Sterling version from the States for £17 plus del (works out at £26 and no customs to pay) and its a known quantity in terms of IQ, with most reviews putting as one of the best plossls in the sub TV market. 

The TMB makes more sense at 4mm. Decent eyerelief and chunk of glass to peer into. I have a Celestron Nexstar 3.6mm Plossl which would be perfect for my 80ED but i just can't be doing with it to be honest.

Archived