Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

British Weather at its best!

Sam Baker

So I get my new scope ready for the skies to go dark since the sky was so clear - not a cloud in sight! My excitement levels hit the roof! Then 10 mins later I go back outside to find that there is not one spot of clear sky out there, shrouded in disappointment I brought my telescope in and then there was a blizzard! So I went to the supermarket and on my way back home the skies were sparkling clear so I dragged my scope out and spent a good couple of hours fulfilling my needs! In the end a very happy Sam and great views of the orion nebula and seven sisters and jupiter also had a good look at betelgeuse and rigel to my amazement the intense difference between the colours of the two stars. I panned around to find M35-M37 near capella but unfortunately I wasn't able to find them the light pollution was maybe a bit much. I also tried to spit M78 above Orions belt but again light pollution being too much I was unable to find it - I do believe I found the two stars which it shrouds but thats all. Overall a fantastic night and I'm well chuffed with myself :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I did see some groups of stars when I were looking for m35-37 but the just seemed similar to the groups you get near the orion nebula rather than actual clusters. Could they have been what I was looking for? Got to love the british weather I may cobsider living as a astronomy nomad in atacama or somewhere I could get good views all round XD

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The waxing moon will be a killer for all but the brightest DSOs. I've only observed the Auriga clusters a few times, and they may be bright enough to see with the moon up too but are probably best left for a moonless night. M78 would be impossible with the moon there because it's faint and diffuse - I've seen it with the 3'' from the dark skies of the New Forest.

DD

Bravo to anyone able to observe !

The Auriga clusters are firm favourites.

Without the Moon we can pick out M38 from the edge of town. If you make a kite shape of Auriga, ignoring Alnath, you'll find M38 half way along the longest side. Drop down then you'll find M36. Down and towards the observer is M37. Really lovely against a black sky,

Nick.

M35 is amongst my favourites in that lot,  accompanied by its small cousin NGC 2158, On a good night and a nice dark background a feast of stars, it is the target I look at and wonder how many boxes of pencils the sketchers go though to nail that lot. :grin:

I did see some groups of stars when I were looking for m35-37 but the just seemed similar to the groups you get near the orion nebula rather than actual clusters. Could they have been what I was looking for? 

Nope, I doubt it. M35 is quite big and loose, but much richer than those ones in Orion. M36 is denser, and M37 is very rich in stars. I remember having the same problem - the best I can offer is "You'll know 'em when you see 'em". Figuring out which one you've found (at least, in M36-38) can be a bit of a knack, though.

(Hint: M38 looks like a cross - x - or sometimes a Greek letter Pi (π) )

Archived