NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Long Tripod and Ball Head for Binoculars?

pacebowler

Hi,

Just getting into astronomy and after pondering over for weeks I got myself a Celestron Skymaster 20 x 80.

I also bought a Vanguard Tripod (Alta Pro 283CT - maximum extended height 170cm) and a Vanguard piston style ball head (GH-300T). The setups is working fine and I can get an almost 90% elevation into the sky with the ball head but my main problem is to do with the maximum height of the tripod when fully extended. I am still getting a sore neck and believe another 15 - 20 cm will greatly help on the tripod height.

I bought the Alta Pro to serve dual purpose of a stargazing plus photography (amateur) but if required I will drop the idea and have a dedicated one for stargazing and keep the Alta Pro for photography but I ideally was looking to have just one tripod for both purpose.

Is there a recommendation on a long tripod and better solution on ball head? 

Thanks

Dev

:huh:

Is this universally compatible? Im very new to this too, and I just bought myself a 15x63 orion mini giant. Its 2.4lb so I figured that hand holding it would be doable for short periods of time, but I was hoping I could get the setup most people suggest on this site, which is the mono + trigger grip. I was wondering if anyone confirm that its universal... And if its not too much trouble, maybe I could be linked the 2 most affordable/recommended parts from amazon.com or .ca it would be great. 

Hope this isnt too much trouble, thank you!

I just bought myself a 15x63 orion mini giant. Its 2.4lb so I figured that hand holding it would be doable for short periods of time,

It's not the weight that's the main issue for hand holding, it's the magnification, which, well, magnifies every little tremor by 15 times.

Archived