Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

planetary camera advice

catburglar

I'm interested in trying some planetary imaging with an SCT, but unsure as to which camera would be best to start with. I know I should be looking for a mono camera with a fast frame rate and small pixels (I think about 5 micron suit my FL) but see cameras from QHY, Imaging Source and others, and don't know which is best. I could get a webcam, but have read that dedicated planetary cameras have better characteristics, so this is where I would like to start if possible.

Also, I have a set of colour filters for visual use- will these be OK for a mono camera? Do I need an IR Cut filter?

I have set a budget of approx £300 - so hopefully this will be sufficient.

Any advice gratefully received.

AS120MM is good and cheap. Optionally PGR Blackfly with ICX693 in similar price but on Gigabit Ethernet. Visual filter won't be optimal for RGB imaging, but some (like orange, red) can be used to shoot luminance channels of Moor or planets.

ASI sensor has quite small pixels so he likes f/15 and (bit) more. ICX693 has big pixels and it likes something like f/25 and more. Focal length isn't the key factor, focal ratio is.

thanks for the info- hadn't seen the ZWO cameras, but look OK and reasonably priced.

I have a 2x barlow, so should get F20 with my SCT, so might just give it a try.

I've only got a 6 inch aperture at present, so am not expecting miracles, but will be interesting to see how much detail I can get.

Hoping to get some good practice on Jupiter before Mars comes into view.

Hi,

I have a Meade 8" LS SCT and bought an Orion Planetary Imager IV. Its an upgraded webcam in essence. I have found it very easy to use. I had little or no experience. The picture of Jupiter in my signature was my 2nd attempt with this camera. It's about £100 and a great price for an introduction. It takes fab shots of the moon too.

Well worth the money :-)

Everyone is raving about the ASI120MM cameras, ive only heard great things about it, so im going to be ordering a mono version in the next day or so..........I wont be swayed on anything else, especially for the price. Check out the pics it produces...nuff said!

Archived