NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reccying dark sites

knobby

Hi all, what with the rubbish weather lately I've been spending a fair bit of time looking for new observing sites in and around Essex.<br />

I've been basing the choices using the online dark sky finders combined with Google earth.<br />

Here's the question!<br />

I've identified a couple of 'in theory' decent sites but the weather is so pants I can't really check them.<br />

My thinking is that if the dark site maps say its dark... If I visit the site when its cloudy, would I get an idea of the lp anyway as the ground based light would possibly show even more while cloudy?<br />

what do you think?

even if you did go when it was cloudy you would get a good idea of viewing points and  other general information such as how many car show up up depending on were it is located, ground surface hard soft stuff like that in general so i would go anyway with a pair of binos just in case ;)

Yes, if you go to a potential site in cloudy weather you'll be able to assess the extent of light domes on the horizon, and ground light reflected off clouds. At a perfect site there would be no light domes on the horizon, and clouds would be completely black - you'd only know they were there because they block starlight. You won't find a site like that. But if you show up and find that most of the light seems to be near the horizon rather than overhead, then it's at least promising, and worth a look when its clear.

Visiting in cloudy weather will also give you a chance to assess other factors - what's the parking like, is there a clear view to the south, will you be too much exposed to wind, do other cars show up while you're there. All good to know.

Top features for me would be: 1. Easy and inconspicuous off-road parking, no more than a few yards from where the scope will be set up. 2. Clear view to the south and no light dome on the southern horizon. 3. Very little passing traffic (headlights spoil your dark adaptation) and nobody stopping (it's not a recognized layby or car park). 4. Not too exposed (i.e. not a hilltop).

Archived