Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The bendy control extensions on my mount

Any help mucho apreciato

So at last I set up my new Bresser Refractor with EQ4: level, finder pointing same place as scope, and pointing at Polaris.  And wandered the diamond covered black velvet.

And after had two thoughts:

The bendy cables are attached using a little screw.  Could easily be lost.  Do you guys (and gals) carry spares, use locktite, modify the connection, or just pray?

I got into a position where I was viewing but the bendy cables were a long way away for my short arms  :rolleyes:   Do you guys (and gals) use extended cables, extended arms, or get your partner to do that bit shouting "left a bit, up a bit, almost there, a little bit more, not that way you id............."  :cool:

Any thoughts warmly received.  Tx

I guess you mean the slow motion adjusters.

It takes a little getting used to as to where they are. I have a shortish reflector so they are fairly close, but there are times that they either get in the way or are a bit of a stretch. Fortunately one is located in line with the scope so that is easy, the other one can be switched between sides and does get switched for ease of use or to move it away from the weights.

As to the small screws, I wouldn't locktite them as one needs to be used all the time to remove from side to side. I usually set up on decking so just know that one day I will unscrew it too far and lose it. At the moment I have no spares but will have to source something in the future, even a small bolt would do as it's only every done up finger tight.

To me the cables can be rather annoying, especially when they get in the way when you are using the scope at an awkward angle.  On my Porta II mount i have got shorter control 'sticks' and I find these much better, but I do have to stretch a bit sometimes, and also they can be a bit loose, so I have to be careful in the dark. Photo follows (hopefully!):

post-3528-0-18696500-1391439423_thumb.jp

For the bendy bits on my scopes it really amounts the preying they don't get lost.

Concerning getting to the bendy bits I tend to give up and buy a set of motors.

Duel motors make life a lot easier, especially on an EQ.

Tx guys at least from your comments it is a concern and not me doing it wrong.

Ronin can't go with you on motors.  Too much hassle as with my GOTO and against my spirit of nature  :laugh:  Late on last night even in my restricted backyard with houses all around I had close to silence,  just the sound of the wind and an owl or two.  I was cruising under manual control from the plough heading out west then round to the southwest.  Didn't find much apart from the Pleiades and Jupiter but I was at one with the world.

Some spare screws Langy seems like a good investment.  When I lug my animal up the muddy hill anything dropped will be gone forever.

As for stocky looking handles Mr Wilkey being a clumsy fellow I may have to look at that longer term

But looking out the window I see blue sky.  Time to tighten the little screws and get the animal outside  :cool:

Archived