NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William optics SPL 6mm or TMB Planetary II 6mm?

The TMB's will be copies or clones, I don't think that the genuine artical is sold in the UK.

They are good but not outstanding, can suffer from a few problems, scatter being one.

The WO SPL gets good reviews, possibly as it is one of the few 6mm eyepieces, check the WO wedsite to see if they say OK at whatever f number your scope is. Some WO eyepiece are not recommended at faster then f/6. But WO do tend to say this on their site.

The BST 5mm will be better then the TMB. If you are looking at buying from Sky's the Limit simply ask Alan, I think he will say the same.

I think the main problem is will the scope handle a 5mm (BST) or would it be better/safer at 6mm (WO).

I don't know the TMB but I bought the WO 6mm after recommendation on this forum... And I'm really pleased with it. Because of the recommendation I chose it over the BST 5mm although I'm very impressed with my other BSTs.

It is certainly a quality piece.

i think i'll shell out for the 6mm WO - i too was having concerns over too much power with the 5mm BST - it would push it up to 180x and i think even though within the limits of normal seeing and my scope, it would not be used as much. Anyway, yes i think the WO looks good :)

The TMB's will be copies or clones, I don't think that the genuine artical is sold in the UK.

They are good but not outstanding, can suffer from a few problems, scatter being one.

The WO SPL gets good reviews, possibly as it is one of the few 6mm eyepieces, check the WO wedsite to see if they say OK at whatever f number your scope is. Some WO eyepiece are not recommended at faster then f/6. But WO do tend to say this on their site.

The BST 5mm will be better then the TMB. If you are looking at buying from Sky's the Limit simply ask Alan, I think he will say the same.

I think the main problem is will the scope handle a 5mm (BST) or would it be better/safer at 6mm (WO).

Yup, I read that too. You seem to be able to get 'genuine' copies from Teleskop Service though, if that makes any sense.  I had these on my list but decided I wasn't going to take any chances so I'll be going for a Meade 5000 5.5mm....... I think

Archived