NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter on 1-31-14 and -16F

Kirscovitch

Been itching to get back out after been given some very helpful tips. Did not go as smoothly as I would have liked. After alignment I first tried my luck at the SN in M82 and finally got to see it! 

Then after I slewed back to Jupiter to get the imaging rolling I kicked the tripod and had to power down and realign. 

Finally after getting all squared away for the 2nd time, I set about focusing. I dread this step as after 30 mins in the cold, the focuser is very, very stiff. It is a real pain trying to get any sort of crisp focus without the image jumping all over the screen. I almost had it as good as I was going to get it and BAM! I moved the tube. So I had to power down once again and realign. This time I just did a simple solar system align on Jupiter. I was getting cold and very frustrated with my klutziness.

All said and done, I managed this. I think it is my best image of Jup to date. 

Jupiter1-31-14.jpg

Well done Matt.

We have all been there with knocking the kit.

Only the other day I knocked the scope with my head (after dropping my pencil).

Needless to say I was more annoyed about having to reset than the small bump on my head.

Keep with it, at least you must be having some clear skies - here in the South UK it is pouring.

Lee

Yep Matt that all sounds so familiar and utterly frustrating! But good effort indeed - hope weather is better where you are utterly hopeless here at the moment....

Best regards,

Ralph

Yep Matt that all sounds so familiar and utterly frustrating! But good effort indeed - hope weather is better where you are utterly hopeless here at the moment....

Best regards,

Ralph

Have had a string of clear nights here lately. But they came with bitter cold.

Archived