Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jan 27, 2014: Loads of activity to be seen in H-alpha during my solar lunchtime

Just had a look at the sun with my trusty LS35THa, and a lot is going at the moment. On the western limb, somewhat southwards a large complex of proms is visible. A bit above and to the east on the disc a filament like a long straight wall can be seen. Nearby two sunspots and a host of filaments are visible. Over on the eastern limb, a lot of proms (fairly short, but bright) are visible. In their centre, a bright bulge is showing on the limb. I do not have time for any further observations at the moment, but that bulge might erupt into something big later.

Just been out myself with the PST and my newt with WL filter.

I waited 30 minutes for the sun to clear the houses to the south, and 4 minutes before it did so the rain-clouds from  

the west covered it up.

I stayed out in the shelter of my garden wall and was rewarded with about 20 seconds of Ha, and a minute or so WL

Through some tiny gaps.

I Ha Ispotted both the large group of prominences bottom rt, and the Two umbrae and plage top left, bit must have missed

the filliamants as my eye was roving too quickly.

WL Showed me the smaller spots and prenumbrae roround the Two large umbae, and revealed a large spot right at the rim

in the posision where the prominences were showing in Ha.

All in all, the sun gave up quite a few secrets in 90 seconds, I was glad I dodges the showers in stear of throwing my toys out of the pram

and coming immediately back indoors when the weather sought (as it frequently does) to vomit in my kettle.

Now for a hot coffee (I have cleaned out the kettle 1st)

Mick.

STOP PRESS.

Clouds have just cleared again and I have the PST out there.

I can see two filiaments on the disc, but more importantly the spot to lower right near the limb (seen in wl) and

near it a very pright point like area that may be the beginnings of a flare.

The sun may set behind houses in the next 15 mins or so but I intend to watch like a hawk until it does.

Mick

Glad you got a nice session in, Mick :smiley:  I got a fleeting white light view later - though the conditions were ropey by then after being decent earlier!

Michael, I use a mini giro with my grab and go, though I only use one side of it (just one scope at a time, SolarMax 60, or ED80 + Herschel wedge). It is quite sensitive to balance. E.g. if I take an eyepiece out, that can be enough to make the scope move by itself and swing down if I am not careful. It's a lot more sensitive to balance than my Giro III (but a lot more compact).

Apart from the balance, I really love it, makes for a flexible, light yet reasonably stable setup with my camera tripod. Will be interesting to see how you get on with a side-by-side arrangement if you pull the trigger.

I have a side-by-side setup for home, using the Giro III. It works beautifully, with the white light and H-a complimenting each other very well. :laugh:

Archived