Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Scope Advise!

Good Morning everyone!

I have been looking to upgrade my scope to a computerized Celestron. I 110% new to astronomy and learning new things every day. I don’t know why I am stuck on Celestron scope's but I am. I have a 127EQ now and have been looking at a Nexstar 8SE and a CGEM 800. Now anyone who knows Celestron knows that there is a $1000 difference between the two. I used Celestron site to "Compare" the two but it seems as if the specs are the same? I have to assume that the mount on CGEM is better and the mirrors too.

My question is has anyone used either or both scopes and what are your opinions? I am sure questions like these are asked every day. My goal is to be able to see Deep Space Objects and possibly astrophotography. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Brian

As I understand it the optical tubes would be identical. The only difference is the mount - alt/az for the SE and equatorial for the CGEM. If you want to do deep space imaging then the equatorial mount would be needed.

Yes that's range right - the OTA is identical you are paying for a better mount. If you want AP you need an early mount, and even for visual the SEA mount doesn't handle the 8" sct very well - wobbles a lot and not very accurate in my experience.  I still use that OTA on my neq6 and it performs very well

Yes, if you're not going to do astrophotography I'd go for the altazimuth mounted scope - that is the 8SE.  I would add though that if you aren't going to have to move your telescope around much I'd go for the 8 CPC.   It  has two fork arms instead of one and is MUCH more stable - though be aware it is much heavier at around 69 pounds compared with 33 pounds when assembled.

As others have said the CGEM, or other equatorial, is really necessary to do many types of astrophotography involving long exposures.  An alternative would be to have the CPC and buy a wedge - in effect turning it into an equatorial mount.  

Thanks for the advice.

There is a lot to take into consideration.  Portability is going to weigh heavily. I live about 10 minutes east of Philadelphia so light pollution is extremely bad.  I am ok with dealing with a scope that may have a little weight.

PaulAstro, I have read a few concerns regarding the 8SE with being unstable due to the one arm.  And like most Newbie’s I have a serious interest in AP so an Equatorial mount seems like a better option.

Archived