Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

mount advice please!

right, i know i should always spend my money on the best mount available as it is key.

however, i cannot afford borg lightweight mounts and the like for my anticipated 72 apo.

i want something i can use at a low height, a bit like astropethean's avatar image, so that i can lean back in my camping chairs and stargaze. i was thinking of fairly decent quality photo tripods, Velbon do a D7000 series and Slik have a 700DX, both around £65.00 online.

i have also seen, though it is only in Bristol till tomorrow, hence the urgency, an Astromaster "stall" in the shopping Mall, they are have been at the mall for about 12 weeks but leave TOMORROW. they have the Astromaster 70 with the Alt Az for £50, so i could get it and ditch the scope. They also have the i think a NS series with the celestron goto altaz mount, again this is under £70 and i could get this and ditch the scope.

do some people use ordinary tripods for astro use, my only concern is that unless the head of a normal photo tripod is very good then i will get jerky movement.

Mcut,

I'm using a photo tripod with my 80mm achro. It works. The problem is as you say, tracking is a bit tricky. I did buy a Velbon CX660 rated at 3.5 Kg. The problem with it is the head etc is all plastic and the wobbles are much much worse than the 30 year old one I'm using, so I've given up with it and am using the old one again. I know someone on here has a Velbon DX7000 tripod for use with a scope, and they have made some comments on it, perhaps they'll be along shortly.

I use a Skywatcher AZ-3 mount which is lightweight but has slow motions on both axis so can track smoothly at relatively high powers. My scope is an F6.5 Vixen ED102 refractor which I guess is heavier than your Megrez 72 but the AZ-3 carries it fine as it did my Megrez 90 when I had it.

Here's a piccy:

http://iseestars.net/image/9850/large/image.jpg

I think the AZ-3's cost around £75 new or under £50 used.

John

Another vote for the AZ3... 36" or 92 cm (3.8kg or just under 8lb).

I'm sure John would've told you - Just happen to have mine out. :D

Aside: I think for a 3" scope the (fundamental) imbalance is no problem - Perhaps as (IMO) it can be, with 4" 'fracs or a MAK127. The AZ3-2 slow motions are effective and useful. But I understand the desire for more relaxed observing positions tho'. Not easy, and (apparently) beyond the vision of most mount designers? I sense a bit of "we've always designed 'em like..." :D

Another vote for the AZ3... 36" or 92 cm (3.8kg or just under 8lb).

I'm sure John would've told you - Just happen to have mine out. :D

Aside: I think for a 3" scope the (fundamental) imbalance is no problem - Perhaps as (IMO) it can be, with 4" 'fracs or a MAK127. The AZ3-2 slow motions are effective and useful. But I understand the desire for more relaxed observing positions tho'. Not easy, and (apparently) beyond the vision of most mount designers? I sense a bit of "we've always designed 'em like..." :D

it does seem as though i have to choose photo/video for low level or a full mount. if i chose the latter, i am sure astropethean raised an issue with the smoothness of the AZ3. any views anyone on, if i should choose a full mount, the Vixen Porta?

Archived