Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Roof vs Porro?

Swedeman2013

It seems less and less porro binoculars are being offered these days as the move to roof prisms looks to be the wave of the future. I'm looking for a more compact pair next and I'm wondering how mid priced roof 8x42 s would stack up against porros offered by brands like Nikon and Pentax, any suggestions or thoughts?

I'm currently researching the same thing. So few comparisons exist its hard to decide. It's clear though that people using roofs generally buy them for outdoor pursuits such as birding whereas for astronomy porro prism are preferred.

My research also suggests good roof prism binoculars require an initial outlay of at least double that of a good porro.

I'm wondering how mid priced roof 8x42 s would stack up against porros offered by brands like Nikon and Pentax,

First thought is Nikon and Pentax are generally not mid priced. So is the "comparison" actually like for like.

I have somewhere 5 sets of binoculars and at this time the best are the roof prisms. In roof prisms I have 2 sets, both Bushnell. The Bushnell H2O 8x42's are generally kept in the car for use any time. I can stop or go wherever I like and will have a set in. They are very good.

The better set are the Bushnell Natureviews, again 8x42's roof prism's, are a good step up in performance.

Mine came from Binoculars.com, who have ceased shipping to the UK, otherwise I would have a set of 10x42's in the Natureview model.

The "problem" with roof prisms is they are 2 prisms, so a little extra loss at the additional air/glass interface, which you will never notice and if dropped the 2 prisms could move relative. They could have a greater chance of moving by chance as well which I suppose I could be prone to as the car gets hot and cold at different times.

Maybe I have been lucky and got 2 good sets, but as a general set and for compactness and performance I have no complaints, and would happily get another set.

At a very large birdwatching show North West of me they have a huge selection of binoculars and the vast majority are roof prisms, the show is for the serious ornithologist and they want the best they can get, £1500 (C$2250) a set is the area and the choice is not set by fashion. Still it is roof prisms not the porro prism models that are bought.

Another fact is they are not actually "new" and having bugs sorted out, I bought mine some 10 years ago, bit more. So the idea of a "new" design is somewhat incorrect.

I have A pair of Bushnell 10 x 42 Roof binos, & a pair of  Praktica 12 x 50 Porros  binos,

I find the Bushnell Roof bins far out preform the Porros even in dark skies,  :smiley:

If I was getting another pair of bins I would choose Roof again,

How ever most large astronomy binos are Porros ? :huh: ,

So it's probable comes down to what suits you really  :rolleyes: . 

Hi Swedeman, I absolutely love my Helios Nirvana 8x42 ED glass roof prism bins for astronomy; along with woolly socks and red-film sweet wrappers, they've become my most fundamental piece of kit.

Really great complement to my 200p dob and even my 15x70 bins. You can't see deep sky objects with them, but I get great pin sharp stars with absolutely no colour aberation, and they're so light and easy to hold and have a lovely widefiled 8degree Field of View allowing me to scan the skies effortlessly and really get my bearings for a star hop with the telescope. They were invaluable last night when I could fiund M82 in the big bins, but for the life of me couldn't point my little refractor on EQ mount at the same place accurately! To be honest some of my favourite nights star gazing were just with the 8x42's and a star map and a chair.

I gather that - by design - roof prisms are far more sensitive to the special coatings of the glass prisms inside, though my £200 Nirvana's have no problem. My £75 Barr and Stroud Sahara roof prisms were good but not nearly so as the Nirvanas. I plan to get a cheap pair of porros for keeping in the car for those 'emergency' star views! At budget levels (<£50) I understand Porros are probably better value because their optical design is simpler and less reliant on clever coatings.

All I all I'm discovering that bins are very personal things, and its worth thinking what will complement other kit you already have. As such, I suggest there's no substitute for actually trying lots of pairs in a good astro shop before you decide and buy.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Simon, thanks for your thoughts! I'm with you when it comes to binocular astronomy, with my 10x50s my views are enjoyable and are a welcome addition to my 200p. Unfortunately the Helios brand is pretty much unavailable " across the pond" for whatever reason so I'll keep researching other brands.

Clear skies!

Archived